Skip to main content

Reading report for September 2016

I decided to resurrect the monthly reading reports I used to post back when I was last actively blogging. Why, I hear you ask, since I am already publishing weekly reports? Well, they are mostly for me, to make it easier to have an overview of a whole month’s reading in a single post, but if someone else finds them useful, well, so much the better. Here is the first one:

I finished 15 books in September, of which 3 were rereads and 12 were first-time reads. That is: I think that's how it goes because I can’t be sure about Agatha Christie as I read a number of her books before I started keeping records of my reading.

11 were fiction in 3 genres and 2 were non-fiction in the same number of genres. Finally 2, The Darwin Awards II and Please Don’t Eat the Daisies, were a mixture of fiction and non-fiction.

Nearly half the books, 7 in all, were by Agatha Christie, so it can be said I got back into reading mysteries with a vengeance in September. In addition to the seven, there were 3 more mysteries and altogether they fall into 3 sub-genres. All the Christies are contemporaries, i.e they take place more or less around the time when they were written, whereas the Cadfael books are historicals and the first Fables book is fantasy, but still a mystery, with a detective, helper and very clever criminals.

My favourite of the month was Show Me the Magic, and I also greatly enjoyed the first Fables book and the last chapter of the Darwin Awards book. All of the books were enjoyable to some extent and I do not regret reading any of them, but I do regret not having read more books, because I had ample time to do so.

I know I am not going to beat last year’s record number of 329 read books, but I might still be able to top 2014s 194 books. I only have 20 books to go to achieve that goal.

The books:
  • Annie Caulfield: Show Me the Magic: Travels Round Benin by Taxi. Travelogue. Reading challenge book.
  • Agatha Christie: Dead Man's Folly by Agatha Christie. Mystery. A Hercule Poirot novel. Reread.
  • Agatha Christie: Death in the Clouds. Mystery. A Hercule Poirot novel.
  • Agatha Christie: The Golden Ball. Short story collection (mystery, suspense and romance).
  • Agatha Christie: Hickory Dickory Dock. Mystery. Another Hercule Poirot novel.
  • Agatha Christie: The Murder at the Vicarage. Mystery. The first Miss Marple book. Reread.
  • Agatha Christie: Sad Cypress. Mystery. Another Hercule Poirot outing.I don't think I had read this one before, but I can't be sure since I read a number of Christie novels long before I began keeping records of my reading.
  • Agatha Christie: Towards Zero. Mystery. A Superintendent Battle mystery.
  • Dave Heyhoe & Damien Lewis: It's All About Treo: Life, Love and War with the World's Bravest Dog. Memoir.
  • Jean Kerr: Please Don't Eat the Daisies. Humorous essays about motherhood, family and anything else the author could think of.
  • Wendy Northcutt: The Darwin Awards II. Stories, true and untrue, of deaths both tragic and funny. 
  • Ellis Peters: The Hermit of Eyton Forest. Historical mystery. Book 14 of the Brother Cadfael mysteries.
  • Ellis Peters: The Confession of Brother Haluin. Historical mystery. Book 15 of the Brother Cadfael mysteries.
  • Andreas Staïkos: Les Liaisons Culinaires. Novella. A funny story about love and food.
  • Bill Willingham and co.: Fables 1 & 2. Fantasy. Collected comic book editions. 
The TBR stack (owned) now stands at 803. This means I am reading my books at about the same speed as I am acquiring them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove...

Bibliophile discusses Van Dine’s rules for writing detective stories

Writers have been putting down advice for wannabe writers for centuries, about everything from how to captivate readers to how to build a story and write believable characters to getting published. The mystery genre has had its fair share, and one of the best known advisory essays is mystery writer’s S.S. Van Dine’s 1928 piece “Twenty rules for writing detective stories.” I mentioned in one of my reviews that I might write about these rules. Well, I finally gave myself the time to do it. First comes the rule (condensed), then what I think about it. Here are the Rules as Van Dine wrote them . (Incidentally, check out the rest of this excellent mystery reader’s resource: Gaslight ) The rules are meant to apply to whodunnit amateur detective fiction, but the main ones can be applied to police and P.I. fiction as well. I will discuss them mostly in this context, but will also mention genres where the rules don’t apply and authors who have successfully and unsuccessfully broken the rules. 1...

Meme: Top Ten Tuesdays: Top Ten Book to Movie Adaptations

This meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . To see more favourite book-to-movie adaptations, head over there to see which movies the other participants have nominated. I am going to cheat and interpret ‘movie’ as ‘film’, so I can include television adaptations. Oscar and Lucinda , from the book by Peter Carey. Apart from the changed ending it is an incredibly faithful adaptation, with every character perfectly cast. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo , from the book by Stieg Larsson. This one actually improves on the book, which is well plotted but badly written. Cold Comfort Farm , from the book by Stella Gibbons. Perfect casting and quite faithful to the original. High Fidelity , from the book by Nick Hornby. Moving the story to America didn’t hurt it one bit. Fried Green Tomatoes (at the Whistle Stop Café), from the book by Fannie Flagg. Perfect casting and faithful to the story. Pride and Prejudice from the book by Jane Austen, the latest BBC adaptation. Incredibly f...