Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday




Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

 Today‘s challenge is to list Books On My Fall TBR List.

Visit the originating blog to see what other members of the book blogging community are planning to read in the fall, and maybe add your own list.

Now, I don‘t like making reading lists unless I‘m listing potential challenge reads, but here goes:

First, 3 books I have started reading and plan to finish soon: 

  • The Confession of Brother Haluin by Ellis Peters. Mystery.
  • What The Butler Saw: Two Hundred and Fifty Years of the Servant Problem by E.S. Turner. Social history. Finishing this will bring me one book closer to fulfilling my goal for the Nonfiction 2016 Challenge.
  • Deadly Slipper by Michelle Wan. Mystery with a botanical twist.


Other books I plan to read:
  • Eothen by Alexander William Kinglake. Travelogue that appears on some lists of the best travel books ever.  Finishing this will fulfil my goal for the Nonfiction 2016 Challenge. I might even level up, since there are so many good non-fiction books I would like to read.
  • One book from the stack I bought in September. (At least).
  • One large format book.
  • One art/photography book or cookbook.
  • One eBook.
  • One book in Icelandic.
  • One translated book.


Comments

Trish said…
I love travel books! I'll have to look out for Eothen.

Popular posts from this blog

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove...

Bibliophile discusses Van Dine’s rules for writing detective stories

Writers have been putting down advice for wannabe writers for centuries, about everything from how to captivate readers to how to build a story and write believable characters to getting published. The mystery genre has had its fair share, and one of the best known advisory essays is mystery writer’s S.S. Van Dine’s 1928 piece “Twenty rules for writing detective stories.” I mentioned in one of my reviews that I might write about these rules. Well, I finally gave myself the time to do it. First comes the rule (condensed), then what I think about it. Here are the Rules as Van Dine wrote them . (Incidentally, check out the rest of this excellent mystery reader’s resource: Gaslight ) The rules are meant to apply to whodunnit amateur detective fiction, but the main ones can be applied to police and P.I. fiction as well. I will discuss them mostly in this context, but will also mention genres where the rules don’t apply and authors who have successfully and unsuccessfully broken the rules. 1...

Meme: Top Ten Tuesdays: Top Ten Book to Movie Adaptations

This meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . To see more favourite book-to-movie adaptations, head over there to see which movies the other participants have nominated. I am going to cheat and interpret ‘movie’ as ‘film’, so I can include television adaptations. Oscar and Lucinda , from the book by Peter Carey. Apart from the changed ending it is an incredibly faithful adaptation, with every character perfectly cast. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo , from the book by Stieg Larsson. This one actually improves on the book, which is well plotted but badly written. Cold Comfort Farm , from the book by Stella Gibbons. Perfect casting and quite faithful to the original. High Fidelity , from the book by Nick Hornby. Moving the story to America didn’t hurt it one bit. Fried Green Tomatoes (at the Whistle Stop Café), from the book by Fannie Flagg. Perfect casting and faithful to the story. Pride and Prejudice from the book by Jane Austen, the latest BBC adaptation. Incredibly f...