Skip to main content

Review: The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

Book status: Reread. Permanent collection.
Genre: Murder mystery; amateur detective fiction.

It‘s funny how some books can stay in one‘s memory for ages, with even tiny plot details remembered, while others, equally good, seem to simply evaporate from one‘s brain. This is one of those books. I remembered nothing about it, not a single thing, which is good, because the main objective of this kind of mystery, besides being entertaining, is to engage the reader in trying to solve the case ahead of the sleuth.

The narrator of the book is Leonard Clement, the vicar of St. Mary Mead. At the beginning of the book he and several other people express wishes that Colonel Lucius Protheroe, the local magistrate and churchwarden, would die. Protheroe is shown to be an unpleasant man, a harsh judge, domestic tyrant and quarrelsome to boot. Everyone is shocked but no one grieves much when he is found shot dead in the study at the vicarage, where he had been waiting for the vicar to return from a house-call. Several people had reasons to want him dead, but who actually went ahead and killed him?

It‘s no secret that out of Agatha Christie‘s two best known sleuths, I prefer Miss Marple. I read all the Marple books several years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the exercise. I thought that since I‘m on a Christie kick, it was about time I got reacquainted with Miss M, and what better place to start than the first full-length Miss Marple story?

The Murder at the Vicarage is the first of the Miss Marple books but she had previously appeared in some short stories. However, in this book her character is by no means fully developed. As described by the narrator, she is admirably clever and notices everything, but is also not a very nice person, being a busybody and a spreader of gossip that is sometimes just a bit malicious. Of course, we are seeing her through the vicar‘s eyes, but still, she doesn‘t have the feel of more likeable Miss Marple of the later books.

The story is entertaining and the descriptions of people are amusing, especially those of the vicar‘s family and of the town gossips, of whom Miss Marple is one. I especially enjoyed an interchange between the vicar and Inspector Slack, the policeman assigned to the case, that is surely the inspiration for a similar exchange in James Anderson‘s homage to the Golden Era detective story, The Affair of the Mutilated Mink.

Vicar Clement is a keen and sarcastic observer of people and their foibles, although he doesn‘t always correctly guess their thoughts and motivations, and this makes him an excellent foil to Miss Marple, who never seems to be wrong about people‘s characters or their motivations.

The mystery itself is a clear prototype for the plot of a later Poirot novel (to name it would give away too much), but with a smaller cast and fewer bodies. It is just as far-fetched, but not as skilfully executed, but enjoyable none the less.

Conclusion: Not the best of the Miss Marple books, but still enjoyable.

P.S. As with so many other books that have been constantly in print for decades, I found so many covers for this book that I just might do a cover discussion of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove...

Bibliophile discusses Van Dine’s rules for writing detective stories

Writers have been putting down advice for wannabe writers for centuries, about everything from how to captivate readers to how to build a story and write believable characters to getting published. The mystery genre has had its fair share, and one of the best known advisory essays is mystery writer’s S.S. Van Dine’s 1928 piece “Twenty rules for writing detective stories.” I mentioned in one of my reviews that I might write about these rules. Well, I finally gave myself the time to do it. First comes the rule (condensed), then what I think about it. Here are the Rules as Van Dine wrote them . (Incidentally, check out the rest of this excellent mystery reader’s resource: Gaslight ) The rules are meant to apply to whodunnit amateur detective fiction, but the main ones can be applied to police and P.I. fiction as well. I will discuss them mostly in this context, but will also mention genres where the rules don’t apply and authors who have successfully and unsuccessfully broken the rules. 1...

Meme: Top Ten Tuesdays: Top Ten Book to Movie Adaptations

This meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . To see more favourite book-to-movie adaptations, head over there to see which movies the other participants have nominated. I am going to cheat and interpret ‘movie’ as ‘film’, so I can include television adaptations. Oscar and Lucinda , from the book by Peter Carey. Apart from the changed ending it is an incredibly faithful adaptation, with every character perfectly cast. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo , from the book by Stieg Larsson. This one actually improves on the book, which is well plotted but badly written. Cold Comfort Farm , from the book by Stella Gibbons. Perfect casting and quite faithful to the original. High Fidelity , from the book by Nick Hornby. Moving the story to America didn’t hurt it one bit. Fried Green Tomatoes (at the Whistle Stop Café), from the book by Fannie Flagg. Perfect casting and faithful to the story. Pride and Prejudice from the book by Jane Austen, the latest BBC adaptation. Incredibly f...