Skip to main content

Signing-up post for the Nonfiction Challenge 2016


I came to the realisation some time ago that I was slacking off in my reading. It's not that I have been reading any fewer books than usual, but that, given a choice, I have been going for the less demanding books: short rather than long, easy subjects over hard, entertainment over substance etc., like choosing dessert every time and ignoring the main course. Of course every reader needs the equivalent of dessert every now and then, but such books don't provide the mental nourishment and challenges that can be had from the literary equivalent of a main dish. 

For example, I haven't read, or indeed touched, a science book in months, and looking at my reading log I find I have only read three non-fiction books this year. Of those, one is a collection of quotations and another a photography book. This is out of 117 books read so far, when non-fiction has usually been somewhere in the 12-15% range of my overall reading each year. Plus, I haven't read a single book, fiction or non-, longer than 400 pages since some time last year.

Nonfiction Reading Challenge hosted at The Introverted ReaderIt's too late in the year to be thinking of a challenge to read long books, but when I realised that several of the possible reads for the What’s in a Name challenge I signed up for on Friday were non-fiction, I decided to sign up for a non-fiction reading challenge as well and chose this one: Nonfiction Reading Challenge 2016.

I’m signing up for the Dilettante level to begin with, but if it goes well I’ll level up to Explorer. 

Although some of the books I found could be used for both challenges, I decided to keep them separate.

The rest of the very simple rules can be found in the sign-up post on the hosting blog.

Dilettante--Read 1-5 non-fiction books:
Planning to read:
Blood River: A Journey to Africa's Broken Heart by Tim Butcher
Bon Appétit! Travels through France with knife, fork and corkscrew by Peter Mayle


Am reading:
The Beckoning Silence by Joe Simpson


Additional reads: Non-fiction books I have started to read and then put aside for one reason or another, and/or rejects from the other challenge.


Explorer--Read 6-10:
Rejects from the other challenge and additional books as needed.
--

Edit (28.08.2016):
Books read so far:
The Beckoning Silence by Joe Simpson
Bon Appétit! Travels through France with knife, fork and corkscrew by Peter Mayle
Blood River: A Journey to Africa’s Broken Heart by Tim Butcher



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove...

Bibliophile discusses Van Dine’s rules for writing detective stories

Writers have been putting down advice for wannabe writers for centuries, about everything from how to captivate readers to how to build a story and write believable characters to getting published. The mystery genre has had its fair share, and one of the best known advisory essays is mystery writer’s S.S. Van Dine’s 1928 piece “Twenty rules for writing detective stories.” I mentioned in one of my reviews that I might write about these rules. Well, I finally gave myself the time to do it. First comes the rule (condensed), then what I think about it. Here are the Rules as Van Dine wrote them . (Incidentally, check out the rest of this excellent mystery reader’s resource: Gaslight ) The rules are meant to apply to whodunnit amateur detective fiction, but the main ones can be applied to police and P.I. fiction as well. I will discuss them mostly in this context, but will also mention genres where the rules don’t apply and authors who have successfully and unsuccessfully broken the rules. 1...

Meme: Top Ten Tuesdays: Top Ten Book to Movie Adaptations

This meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . To see more favourite book-to-movie adaptations, head over there to see which movies the other participants have nominated. I am going to cheat and interpret ‘movie’ as ‘film’, so I can include television adaptations. Oscar and Lucinda , from the book by Peter Carey. Apart from the changed ending it is an incredibly faithful adaptation, with every character perfectly cast. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo , from the book by Stieg Larsson. This one actually improves on the book, which is well plotted but badly written. Cold Comfort Farm , from the book by Stella Gibbons. Perfect casting and quite faithful to the original. High Fidelity , from the book by Nick Hornby. Moving the story to America didn’t hurt it one bit. Fried Green Tomatoes (at the Whistle Stop Café), from the book by Fannie Flagg. Perfect casting and faithful to the story. Pride and Prejudice from the book by Jane Austen, the latest BBC adaptation. Incredibly f...