Skip to main content

Review: The Beckoning Silence by Joe Simpson


Genre: Adventure memoir.
Subjects:  History, mountain-climbing, self-discovery, fear, friendship, death, survival.
Reading challenge: The 2016 Nonfiction Reading Challenge, hosted by The Introverted Reader
Challenge tally: 1 book.

I read Simpson‘s best-seller, Touching the Void, a couple of years ago and enjoyed it immensely. Perhaps „enjoyed“ is not the right word, rather I found it a thrilling and yes, touching, account of the ability of the human spirit to not give up when all hope seems lost. (There was also a lot of bloodymindedness involved).


This book is written with the same stylistic skill as Touching the Void, but suffers somewhat from being more of a series of loosely interconnected accounts of separate climbing expeditions and adventures, ending with an attempt to scale the Eiger that would be end up being tinged with tragedy. The thread that holds the book together is Simpson‘s growing realisation of his mortality, the discovery that he doesn‘t really enjoy mountain-climbing any more and his quest for an equally thrilling pursuit to replace it, one that doesn‘t have quite the same kind of death toll. 

He describes various climbing expeditions and his experiences with paragliding, the sport he chose as a possible replacement for the climbing, and ends with his attempt, with a partner, to climb the technically difficult and lethal north face of the Eiger in an attempt to finally finish a climb he had wanted to do since he was a novice climber. Simpson had read Heinrich Harrer's history of the attempts and description of the first successful ascent of the north face, The White Spider, as a teenager and this had kindled his interest in mountain-climbing in the first place, so this was a fitting climb for him while winding down his climbing activities.

 It also deals with his recovery from the injuries he sustained in the accident described in Touching the Void and a later climbing accident that's described in This Game of Ghosts (another one for the  wish-list, along with The White Spider).

This is a book for mountain climbing enthusiasts and armchair adventurers alike, and while there is a considerable amount of technical jargon in the book, especially when describing equipment and climbing techniques, it is still accessible to people like me who have never strapped on climbing gear and gone mountaineering. I also came away from it with a number of titles of mountainerring books I would like to read.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove...

Bibliophile discusses Van Dine’s rules for writing detective stories

Writers have been putting down advice for wannabe writers for centuries, about everything from how to captivate readers to how to build a story and write believable characters to getting published. The mystery genre has had its fair share, and one of the best known advisory essays is mystery writer’s S.S. Van Dine’s 1928 piece “Twenty rules for writing detective stories.” I mentioned in one of my reviews that I might write about these rules. Well, I finally gave myself the time to do it. First comes the rule (condensed), then what I think about it. Here are the Rules as Van Dine wrote them . (Incidentally, check out the rest of this excellent mystery reader’s resource: Gaslight ) The rules are meant to apply to whodunnit amateur detective fiction, but the main ones can be applied to police and P.I. fiction as well. I will discuss them mostly in this context, but will also mention genres where the rules don’t apply and authors who have successfully and unsuccessfully broken the rules. 1...

Meme: Top Ten Tuesdays: Top Ten Book to Movie Adaptations

This meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . To see more favourite book-to-movie adaptations, head over there to see which movies the other participants have nominated. I am going to cheat and interpret ‘movie’ as ‘film’, so I can include television adaptations. Oscar and Lucinda , from the book by Peter Carey. Apart from the changed ending it is an incredibly faithful adaptation, with every character perfectly cast. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo , from the book by Stieg Larsson. This one actually improves on the book, which is well plotted but badly written. Cold Comfort Farm , from the book by Stella Gibbons. Perfect casting and quite faithful to the original. High Fidelity , from the book by Nick Hornby. Moving the story to America didn’t hurt it one bit. Fried Green Tomatoes (at the Whistle Stop Café), from the book by Fannie Flagg. Perfect casting and faithful to the story. Pride and Prejudice from the book by Jane Austen, the latest BBC adaptation. Incredibly f...