Skip to main content

Reading report for December 2010

A very Happy New Year to my readers and casual visitors!

Here is the final reading report for 2010. I will be doing my yearly report soon.

Of the 11 books I finished in December, I started 7 in December. The rest I had been reading for various lengths of time. The actual page count is probably not impressive, but as I am not striving to finish a particular page or book count, it doesn‘t really matter.

6 of the month‘s finished books were TBR challenge reads. 1 was a Buchmesse Frankfurt challenge read, and 1 a Top Mysteries Challenge read and 4 were not part of any challenge. I failed to finish a second Top Mystery and my last Chunkster challenge book.

I lost two close relatives in December and found light literature the best books to read under the circumstances. First to go was one of my maternal aunts, on the 15th, and then my maternal grandmother, who passed away on December 23rd. I found books to be somewhat of a comfort, but most of all I was happy to be able to spend time with my family. Christmas was subdued, but it was still Christmas, just without the customary phone call to thank my gran for the presents. Today, January 1st, a third close relative died, my maternal great uncle, whose death was unexpected, unlike those of my gran and aunt, who had both been ill for some time. After all this, I find myself spiralling into my annual mid-winter depression a little earlier and faster than usual, but so far I am coping by staying busy and accepting all the support my family can give. In the weeks ahead I will probably be turning to the old familiar perennial rereads for comfort. I may also post a little less regularly for a while. But enough about me, here is the book list:

  • Jennifer Crusie, Anne Stuart & Lani Diane Rich : Dogs and Goddesses. Romance, alternative reality, paranormal/supernatural
  • Roald Dahl, ed.: Roald Dahl's Book of Ghost Stories. Short stories, supernatural
  • Hallgrímur Helgason: 101 Reykjavík. Novel, lad lit
  • Dashiell Hammett: The Glass Key. Crime novel, noir
  • Ngaio Marsh: Tied up in Tinsel. Murder mystery, country house
  • Terry Pratchett: The Fifth Elephant. Fantasy (reread)
  • Various: Malice Domestic II. Short stories, crime
  • Various: Girl's Night In. Short stories, mostly romance
  • Various: Mystery For Christmas. Short stories, crime
  • Lynn Viehl: Dark Need and Night Lost. Urban fantasy, romantic

Comments

George said…
The winters are long in Western New York, too, but I find taking 2000 IU of vitamin D daily helps my mood and relieves some of my aches and pains.
Dorte H said…
I hope you´ll have a much happier 2011!
Bibliophile said…
Thank you. I hope so too.

Popular posts from this blog

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove...

Bibliophile discusses Van Dine’s rules for writing detective stories

Writers have been putting down advice for wannabe writers for centuries, about everything from how to captivate readers to how to build a story and write believable characters to getting published. The mystery genre has had its fair share, and one of the best known advisory essays is mystery writer’s S.S. Van Dine’s 1928 piece “Twenty rules for writing detective stories.” I mentioned in one of my reviews that I might write about these rules. Well, I finally gave myself the time to do it. First comes the rule (condensed), then what I think about it. Here are the Rules as Van Dine wrote them . (Incidentally, check out the rest of this excellent mystery reader’s resource: Gaslight ) The rules are meant to apply to whodunnit amateur detective fiction, but the main ones can be applied to police and P.I. fiction as well. I will discuss them mostly in this context, but will also mention genres where the rules don’t apply and authors who have successfully and unsuccessfully broken the rules. 1...

Meme: Top Ten Tuesdays: Top Ten Book to Movie Adaptations

This meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . To see more favourite book-to-movie adaptations, head over there to see which movies the other participants have nominated. I am going to cheat and interpret ‘movie’ as ‘film’, so I can include television adaptations. Oscar and Lucinda , from the book by Peter Carey. Apart from the changed ending it is an incredibly faithful adaptation, with every character perfectly cast. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo , from the book by Stieg Larsson. This one actually improves on the book, which is well plotted but badly written. Cold Comfort Farm , from the book by Stella Gibbons. Perfect casting and quite faithful to the original. High Fidelity , from the book by Nick Hornby. Moving the story to America didn’t hurt it one bit. Fried Green Tomatoes (at the Whistle Stop Café), from the book by Fannie Flagg. Perfect casting and faithful to the story. Pride and Prejudice from the book by Jane Austen, the latest BBC adaptation. Incredibly f...