Skip to main content

Time for some reading challenges, pt. 1

I am always on the lookout for new and exciting reading challenges. In the coming weeks I will be presenting some I have come across that I especially like. I haven't decided if I am going to participate in any of them in 2011, but I will be considering it.


To read more about the challenge, just click on the image and you will be taken to the originating website.


This one is very simple: You challenge yourself to read more books in 2011 than you did in 2010. It is hosted by the Book Vixen, who is also hosting three other challenges in 2011, of which I might do one: Men in Uniform (she plans to read romances for that one, but there is noting in the rules that forbids other genres).

I don't think I will be participating in this one. I read so much anyway that I don't need to push myself further, unless I decide to go for 200 books next year, which could easily happen considering the challenge I am setting myself for 2011 (more on that later).

---


This one is to read more books by authors you have read a book by and thought "I must read more by this author", but never did. There are three levels and some rules.
I don't know how many times I have ended a review by saying "I must read more by this author", but maybe it's time I finally did.

Comments

Marce said…
Thank you for joining the Challenge, I look forward to your reviews.

Don't forget to link up so I can enter you in the giveaways.

http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2010/11/i-want-more-book-challenge-2011.html

Popular posts from this blog

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove...

Bibliophile discusses Van Dine’s rules for writing detective stories

Writers have been putting down advice for wannabe writers for centuries, about everything from how to captivate readers to how to build a story and write believable characters to getting published. The mystery genre has had its fair share, and one of the best known advisory essays is mystery writer’s S.S. Van Dine’s 1928 piece “Twenty rules for writing detective stories.” I mentioned in one of my reviews that I might write about these rules. Well, I finally gave myself the time to do it. First comes the rule (condensed), then what I think about it. Here are the Rules as Van Dine wrote them . (Incidentally, check out the rest of this excellent mystery reader’s resource: Gaslight ) The rules are meant to apply to whodunnit amateur detective fiction, but the main ones can be applied to police and P.I. fiction as well. I will discuss them mostly in this context, but will also mention genres where the rules don’t apply and authors who have successfully and unsuccessfully broken the rules. 1...

Meme: Top Ten Tuesdays: Top Ten Book to Movie Adaptations

This meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . To see more favourite book-to-movie adaptations, head over there to see which movies the other participants have nominated. I am going to cheat and interpret ‘movie’ as ‘film’, so I can include television adaptations. Oscar and Lucinda , from the book by Peter Carey. Apart from the changed ending it is an incredibly faithful adaptation, with every character perfectly cast. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo , from the book by Stieg Larsson. This one actually improves on the book, which is well plotted but badly written. Cold Comfort Farm , from the book by Stella Gibbons. Perfect casting and quite faithful to the original. High Fidelity , from the book by Nick Hornby. Moving the story to America didn’t hurt it one bit. Fried Green Tomatoes (at the Whistle Stop Café), from the book by Fannie Flagg. Perfect casting and faithful to the story. Pride and Prejudice from the book by Jane Austen, the latest BBC adaptation. Incredibly f...