Skip to main content

Making time for reading

I can’t count the times I have been asked how I find the time to read so many books. The asker will sometimes add that they never have time to read, or say they envy me for being able to find so much reading time, and so on. Sometimes the non-readers radiate an unspoken assumption about my nerdishness or my lack of a social life, but for the most part these questions come from other readers who want to know my secret. Well, guess what? There isn’t a secret.

If you are determined enough you WILL find time to read, even if you have a spouse and kids, high-maintenance pets, lots of friends, a busy job and an active social calendar. It’s just a matter of planning your time, prioritising and grabbing every opportunity you can. Here are some tips – just choose the ones that apply to you and you’re on your way to reading more:

  • Any time you find yourself with your hands empty and nothing to occupy your brain, read. If you have no such moments, create them. If this means taking the bus to work instead of the car, go for it if you really want to make time for reading.
  • Always carry a book with you so you can use the small gaps between tasks to read. For example, I can read a page or two in the time it takes my computer to start up in the morning, and when I find myself alone at lunch-time in the coffee room, I pick up a book.
  • Multitask. For example, it is perfectly acceptable and easy to read while you eat (as long as you are alone and don’t have to observe polite table manners). Take a book with you to the bathroom and read while you are in the tub. If you have small children and are staying at home with them, train yourself to read with one eye and one ear on the kids.
  • Buy or download audio books and listen while you exercise or take a walk; while you cook or do the housework; during your commute to work; or, if your job allows it, while you work.
  • If you are the planning type, organise some time for reading in your schedule. It doesn’t have to be much: You only need 30 minutes a day for a week to finish a short novel.
  • Subscribe to a book in daily e-mails through DailyLit.com. The instalments are are quite short so they can even be read at work without anyone being the wiser, and before you know it you will be subscribing to a second book.
  • Turn off the TV. Rather than watch something just to have something to do, pick up a book instead. If you find it hard, ask yourself if it’s really a matter of life and death whether you miss one episode of the Tonight Show (to take a random example).
  • Join a book club. It will give you a reason to read, and in your discussions with the other club members you may find out about other books and authors.
  • Read books that interest you, not books you think you should be reading. You shouldn’t reject a book just because you think Harold Bloom and co. wouldn’t approve of it.
  • If a book turns out to be bad or boring, don’t feel obliged to finish it. Life is too short to waste it on reading bad books.
  • Find a reading habit that suits you. If juggling multiple books isn’t your cup of tea, just concentrate on finishing one at a time. If the opposite is true, juggle as many books as make you feel comfortable. 
 And now, Dear Reader, I would love to hear how you make time for reading.

Comments

George said…
I follow most of your suggestions: I don't watch much TV (vast wasteland), always carry a book with me, etc. Many of my friends are shocked that I don't own a cell phone. People here are addicted to them and are constantly texting (especially my students during my lectures!). If they were reading instead of texting, more books would be read.
IngridLola said…
Great tips! My problem is that if I don't have a good chunk of time to devote to reading I'm afraid I won't "process" the book correctly. I have no idea why I think that and I don't think it has any legitimate basis. I'm going to try out some of these tips this week and see if I can get some more reading in.
Dorte H said…
I have also heard that question quite often. No doubt some people stand in awe, but perhaps even more of them think we are really lazy people who waste our time. :D

It has never been difficult for me to find reading time either so the *only* thing that has made me read less in 2010 than usual is my determination to write. You can´t have your book without writing it, but to find writing time you have to follow the same guide lines, basically. You just join writers´ clubs or blogs instead.

So the bottom line: if you really want to do something, you´ll usually find the time for it.

Popular posts from this blog

Book 40: The Martian by Andy Weir, audiobook read by Wil Wheaton

Note : This will be a general scattershot discussion about my thoughts on the book and the movie, and not a cohesive review. When movies are based on books I am interested in reading but haven't yet read, I generally wait to read the book until I have seen the movie, but when a movie is made based on a book I have already read, I try to abstain from rereading the book until I have seen the movie. The reason is simple: I am one of those people who can be reduced to near-incoherent rage when a movie severely alters the perfectly good story line of a beloved book, changes the ending beyond recognition or adds unnecessarily to the story ( The Hobbit , anyone?) without any apparent reason. I don't mind omissions of unnecessary parts so much (I did not, for example, become enraged to find Tom Bombadil missing from The Lord of the Rings ), because one expects that - movies based on books would be TV-series long if they tried to include everything, so the material must be pared down

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove

First book of 2020: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach (reading notes)

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I loathe movie tie-in book covers because I feel they are (often) trying to tell me how I should see the characters in the book. The edition of Deborah Moggach's These Foolish Things that I read takes it one step further and changes the title of the book into the title of the film version as well as having photos of the ensemble cast on the cover. Fortunately it has been a long while since I watched the movie, so I couldn't even remember who played whom in the film, and I think it's perfectly understandable to try to cash in on the movie's success by rebranding the book. Even with a few years between watching the film and reading the book, I could see that the story had been altered, e.g. by having the Marigold Hotel's owner/manager be single and having a romance, instead being of unhappily married to an (understandably, I thought) shrewish wife. It also conflates Sonny, the wheeler dealer behind the retireme