Skip to main content

Book 9: Across the Wall: A Tale of the Abhorsen and Other Stories (reading notes and digressions)

I read the first three books of Garth Nix's Old Kingdom series last year, after coming across an irresistibly priced boxed set of them in a charity shop. I loved them.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d1/AcrossTheWall.jpg/220px-AcrossTheWall.jpg
I couldn't really say which was my favourite, but I knew I wanted more and the ending of Abhorsen suggested there were more, so I did my research and got my mother to buy a copy of Goldenhand for me on one of her trips abroad. I then came across a second-hand copy of this book, Across the Wall, a collection of short stories by Nix, and knowing it contained a story that takes place between Abhorsen and Goldenhand, I promptly bought it. However, it took me a while to start reading it.

The stories are a varied collection and only the first, "Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case" is an Old Kingdom story, so it was a fun introduction to Nix's other writing.

Nix seems to be first and foremost a children's and young adult writer, and from what I've read about him, the Old Kingdom series is the most mature of his writings within that label, but to tell the truth, I have rarely come across anything labelled 'young adult' that wasn't really just a book suitable for most ages - they just have teenaged or young adult protagonists. These stories are no exception.

As for the stories, they are varied and, as I said only one is an Old Kingdom story. The action in "The Creature in the Case" is similar to the action at the beginning of Sabriel, i.e. a race to prevent something evil from happening, in which many lives are lost and the protagonist gets to be a hero. This story is Nix's way of getting Nicholas Sayre back to the Old Kingdom (and Lirael - I can see a romance in the cards there). In Lirael, Nicholas nearly destroyed the Old Kingdom because of his refusal to believe in the existence of magic, but he was never evil, but rather first consumed with the earnest belief that he was doing good, and then under the thrall of evil. I expect he will fully redeem himself in Goldenhand.

The story is thrilling and fast paced and I really don't have much more to say about it.

I enjoyed most of the stories, and would be hard put to name a favourite, but I especially liked “The Hill”, “Lightning Bringer”, “Heart’s Desire” and “Hope Chest”.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove...

Bibliophile discusses Van Dine’s rules for writing detective stories

Writers have been putting down advice for wannabe writers for centuries, about everything from how to captivate readers to how to build a story and write believable characters to getting published. The mystery genre has had its fair share, and one of the best known advisory essays is mystery writer’s S.S. Van Dine’s 1928 piece “Twenty rules for writing detective stories.” I mentioned in one of my reviews that I might write about these rules. Well, I finally gave myself the time to do it. First comes the rule (condensed), then what I think about it. Here are the Rules as Van Dine wrote them . (Incidentally, check out the rest of this excellent mystery reader’s resource: Gaslight ) The rules are meant to apply to whodunnit amateur detective fiction, but the main ones can be applied to police and P.I. fiction as well. I will discuss them mostly in this context, but will also mention genres where the rules don’t apply and authors who have successfully and unsuccessfully broken the rules. 1...

Meme: Top Ten Tuesdays: Top Ten Book to Movie Adaptations

This meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . To see more favourite book-to-movie adaptations, head over there to see which movies the other participants have nominated. I am going to cheat and interpret ‘movie’ as ‘film’, so I can include television adaptations. Oscar and Lucinda , from the book by Peter Carey. Apart from the changed ending it is an incredibly faithful adaptation, with every character perfectly cast. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo , from the book by Stieg Larsson. This one actually improves on the book, which is well plotted but badly written. Cold Comfort Farm , from the book by Stella Gibbons. Perfect casting and quite faithful to the original. High Fidelity , from the book by Nick Hornby. Moving the story to America didn’t hurt it one bit. Fried Green Tomatoes (at the Whistle Stop Café), from the book by Fannie Flagg. Perfect casting and faithful to the story. Pride and Prejudice from the book by Jane Austen, the latest BBC adaptation. Incredibly f...