Skip to main content

List love 3.3: BBC’s Big Read list, books 101-150 (updated 23 April 2013)

The previous 2 parts can be found here (no. 1) and here (no. 2).

Green means I have read it.
Blue means I plan to read it.
The others I am either not interested in or simply don’t know enough about them to decide if I am interested in reading them.

Status abbreviations:
PC = it’s in my Permanent Collection
WL = it’s on my Wish List

  1. Three Men In A Boat: by Jerome K. Jerome. Status: PC
  2. Small Gods: by Terry Pratchett. Status: PC
  3. The Beach: by Alex Garland. 
  4. Dracula: by Bram Stoker. Status: PC
  5. Point Blanc: by Anthony Horowitz. 
  6. The Pickwick Papers: by Charles Dickens. 
  7. Stormbreaker: by Anthony Horowitz. 
  8. The Wasp Factory: by Iain Banks. 
  9. The Day Of The Jackal: by Frederick Forsyth. Status: Owned
  10. The Illustrated Mum: by Jacqueline Wilson. 
  11. Jude The Obscure: by Thomas Hardy. 
  12. The Secret Diary Of Adrian Mole Aged 13¾: by Sue Townsend. Status: PC
  13. The Cruel Sea: by Nicholas Monsarrat. 
  14. Les Misérables: by Victor Hugo. 
  15. The Mayor Of Casterbridge: by Thomas Hardy. 
  16. The Dare Game: by Jacqueline Wilson. 
  17. Bad Girls: by Jacqueline Wilson. 
  18. The Picture Of Dorian Gray: by Oscar Wilde. Status: PC
  19. Shogun: by James Clavell. 
  20. The Day Of The Triffids: by John Wyndham. Status:
  21. Lola Rose: by Jacqueline Wilson. Status:
  22. Vanity Fair: by William Makepeace Thackeray. 
  23. The Forsyte Saga: by John Galsworthy. 
  24. House Of Leaves: by Mark Z. Danielewski. 
  25. The Poisonwood Bible: by Barbara Kingsolver. 
  26. Reaper Man: by Terry Pratchett. Status: PC
  27. Angus, Thongs And Full-Frontal Snogging: by Louise Rennison. 
  28. The Hound Of The Baskervilles: by Arthur Conan Doyle. Status: PC
  29. Possession: by A.S. Byatt. 
  30. The Master And Margarita: by Mikhail Bulgakov. 
  31. The Handmaid's Tale: by Margaret Atwood. 
  32. Danny The Champion Of The World: by Roald Dahl. 
  33. East Of Eden: by John Steinbeck. Status: Owned
  34. George's Marvellous Medicine: by Roald Dahl. 
  35. Wyrd Sisters: by Terry Pratchett. Status: PC
  36. The Color Purple: by Alice Walker. 
  37. Hogfather: by Terry Pratchett. Status: PC
  38. The Thirty-Nine Steps: by John Buchan. 
  39. Girls In Tears: by Jacqueline Wilson. 
  40. Sleepovers: by Jacqueline Wilson. 
  41. All Quiet On The Western Front: by Erich Maria Remarque. 
  42. Behind The Scenes At The Museum: by Kate Atkinson. 
  43. High Fidelity: by Nick Hornby. 
  44. It: by Stephen King. 
  45. James And The Giant Peach: by Roald Dahl. 
  46. The Green Mile: by Stephen King. 
  47. Papillon: by Henri Charriere. 
  48. Men At Arms: by Terry Pratchett. Status: PC
  49. Master And Commander: by Patrick O'Brian. 
  50. Skeleton Key: by Anthony Horowitz. 
That makes 19 out of books no. 101-150 that I have read, and 9 I plan to read.

As with the previous parts of the list, I would be interested to hear what you think of this list and how many of the books you have read or want to read. If you want to, you can also leave a comment telling me why I should consider reading the rest.

Comments

George said…
I've read 30 of the 101-150 list. You'll enjoy DAY OF THE JACKAL and LES MISERABLES, both books about searching for someone. You might consider VANITY FAIR...Becky Sharp is fun to read about. POSSESSION is the best book on this list.

Popular posts from this blog

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove...

Bibliophile discusses Van Dine’s rules for writing detective stories

Writers have been putting down advice for wannabe writers for centuries, about everything from how to captivate readers to how to build a story and write believable characters to getting published. The mystery genre has had its fair share, and one of the best known advisory essays is mystery writer’s S.S. Van Dine’s 1928 piece “Twenty rules for writing detective stories.” I mentioned in one of my reviews that I might write about these rules. Well, I finally gave myself the time to do it. First comes the rule (condensed), then what I think about it. Here are the Rules as Van Dine wrote them . (Incidentally, check out the rest of this excellent mystery reader’s resource: Gaslight ) The rules are meant to apply to whodunnit amateur detective fiction, but the main ones can be applied to police and P.I. fiction as well. I will discuss them mostly in this context, but will also mention genres where the rules don’t apply and authors who have successfully and unsuccessfully broken the rules. 1...

Meme: Top Ten Tuesdays: Top Ten Book to Movie Adaptations

This meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . To see more favourite book-to-movie adaptations, head over there to see which movies the other participants have nominated. I am going to cheat and interpret ‘movie’ as ‘film’, so I can include television adaptations. Oscar and Lucinda , from the book by Peter Carey. Apart from the changed ending it is an incredibly faithful adaptation, with every character perfectly cast. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo , from the book by Stieg Larsson. This one actually improves on the book, which is well plotted but badly written. Cold Comfort Farm , from the book by Stella Gibbons. Perfect casting and quite faithful to the original. High Fidelity , from the book by Nick Hornby. Moving the story to America didn’t hurt it one bit. Fried Green Tomatoes (at the Whistle Stop Café), from the book by Fannie Flagg. Perfect casting and faithful to the story. Pride and Prejudice from the book by Jane Austen, the latest BBC adaptation. Incredibly f...