Skip to main content

Reading journal: Crime and Punishment by Fjodor Dostojevski. Entry 5: Conclusions and a few final words.

I got so caught up in the story that I decided not to stop to write notes about parts 5 and 6 and instead went on to finish the story. Therefore I don’t have any notes or thoughts on future developments, but here are my conclusions:

  • While the main thread of the story is predictable – man commits crime, man tries to avoid suspicion, man breaks down and confesses – the parts that flesh out the narrative are not all so predictable. What really makes this such a brilliant story is not the main story itself but the characters and their interactions and dialogues. Each character is unique and separate and there is no danger of ever getting them confused with each other. Raskolnikov, for example, is brilliantly conceived, and one can easily see how someone with his pride, arrogance and tendency toward depression would be adversely affected by his circumstances and commit a crime. It is equally plausible how he can then be driven to confess by an older man like Petrovits, experienced in applying psychology to squeeze confessions out of hardened criminals, which Raskolnikov is definitely not.

  • Although the incarceration of Raskolnikov at the end might be considered to be the punishment of the title, the real punishment is of course his realisation that he is not the great man he thought himself to be, which is why he gives himself up to the police in a quest for some peace of mind. He has no regrets for the death of the old woman, considers her a necessary part of his experiment to find out if he really is a great man or not. He does not find peace of mind in the punishment meted out to him, but rather in the realisation that he loves Sonja, who has loved him almost from the first.

  • Lots of death in various forms: Murder, suicide, accident, illness, lack of will to live. Surprisingly, while some of the deaths are quite wrenching to read, the story is not depressing, perhaps because it ends on a note of hope, but also because one sees that the characters are expendable and their deaths are necessary for the plot.


The question now is: does this book really belong on a list of best crime novels?
On the surface it is certainly about a crime, but underneath it is an examination of human emotions, of character, of what drives people to extremes, and how people react to abnormal circumstances, so isn’t calling it a crime novel reducing it to a mere entertainment, a book to take to the beach?

Some of the best modern psychological thrillers and crime novels are exactly about those same themes, even when they don’t approach C&P in literary quality. It would be quite easy, I think, to pare C&P down to a sleek psychological thriller. It would certainly lose some of the literary quality, but the core story would still be about Raskolnikov and his crime, his mental anguish over it, and his eventual incarceration, so therefore I think the answer to the question is a definite “yes”. I am no expert on world literary history – all I have studied is Icelandic and English lit – but I think this may just be the prototype for the psychological criminal novel.

I even want to read it again some time in the future, which is not something I can say about many of the crime novels and mysteries I have read, however good they have been.


Rating: A masterpiece of literature and a great read. 5+ stars.

Books left in challenge: 107.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove...

Bibliophile discusses Van Dine’s rules for writing detective stories

Writers have been putting down advice for wannabe writers for centuries, about everything from how to captivate readers to how to build a story and write believable characters to getting published. The mystery genre has had its fair share, and one of the best known advisory essays is mystery writer’s S.S. Van Dine’s 1928 piece “Twenty rules for writing detective stories.” I mentioned in one of my reviews that I might write about these rules. Well, I finally gave myself the time to do it. First comes the rule (condensed), then what I think about it. Here are the Rules as Van Dine wrote them . (Incidentally, check out the rest of this excellent mystery reader’s resource: Gaslight ) The rules are meant to apply to whodunnit amateur detective fiction, but the main ones can be applied to police and P.I. fiction as well. I will discuss them mostly in this context, but will also mention genres where the rules don’t apply and authors who have successfully and unsuccessfully broken the rules. 1...

Meme: Top Ten Tuesdays: Top Ten Book to Movie Adaptations

This meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . To see more favourite book-to-movie adaptations, head over there to see which movies the other participants have nominated. I am going to cheat and interpret ‘movie’ as ‘film’, so I can include television adaptations. Oscar and Lucinda , from the book by Peter Carey. Apart from the changed ending it is an incredibly faithful adaptation, with every character perfectly cast. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo , from the book by Stieg Larsson. This one actually improves on the book, which is well plotted but badly written. Cold Comfort Farm , from the book by Stella Gibbons. Perfect casting and quite faithful to the original. High Fidelity , from the book by Nick Hornby. Moving the story to America didn’t hurt it one bit. Fried Green Tomatoes (at the Whistle Stop Café), from the book by Fannie Flagg. Perfect casting and faithful to the story. Pride and Prejudice from the book by Jane Austen, the latest BBC adaptation. Incredibly f...