Skip to main content

Reading report for September 2013

I read and listened to 22 books in September. Of those, 8 were rereads (one for the second time this year) and 2 were TBR books from the stacks. 18 were fiction, 3 were non-fiction and one was a collection of folk tales, which I can never classify, because
1) many of them have a basis in fact, but
2) many are also made-up, and
3) people still believe in some of them.

I revisited a romance I first read as a teenager – Desire of the the Heart by Barbara Cartland, in Icelandic - mostly to see if it was as contrived and silly as I thought I remembered. It was – I mean, come on: a man who can‘t recognise his own wife when she takes off her dark glasses (which she has, admittedly, never taken off in his presence) and puts up her hair? However, it was no sillier than many other romances I have read.

The stand-outs were two of the non-fiction books: Gulp by Mary Roach, who is fast becoming my favourite popular science writer, and Consider the Lobster by David Foster Wallace, because of the interesting stuff he writes about and the sheer quality of the writing. He even managed to make me take an interest in American politics for the length of an article.

The Books:
  • Robyn Amos: Romancing the Chef. Romance.
  • Barbara Cartland: Desire of the Heart. Historical romance.
  • Arthur Conan Doyle: The Hound of the Baskervilles. Mystery thriller. Re-listen.
  • Jerry Flemmons: More Texas Siftings. Collection of newspaper and magazine cuttings, excerpts, recipes, jokes, poetry and other stuff about Texas.
  • Josh Lanyon: Fair Game. Romantic thriller.
  • Katie MacAlister: Even Vampires Get the Blues. Paranormal romance.
  • Katie MacAlister: The Last of the Red-hot Vampires. Paranormal romance.
  • Katie MacAlister: Bring Out Your Dead. Paranormal romance. Novella.
  • Katie MacAlister: Zen and the Art of Vampires. Paranormal romance.
  • Debbie Macomber: The Shop on Blossom Street. Women’s fiction, romantic.
  • Nagio Marsh: Night at the Vulcan. Murder mystery. Reread.
  • Joann McClean: ...not in love with Kale Eddison. YA romance.
  • Morris & Bom de Groot: Le Bandit manchot. Comic book. Reread.
  • Morris & Goscinny: Ruée sur l’Oklahoma. Comic book. Reread.
  • Morris & Goscinny: Des barbelés sur la prairie. Comic book. Reread.
  • Ólafur Davíðsson: Íslenzkar þjóðsögur II. Folk tales.
  • Terry Pratchett: Dodger. Historical fantasy. Reread.
  • Mary Roach: Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal. Popular science.
  • Nora Roberts: The Search. Romantic suspense.
  • Nora Roberts: Storm Warning. Romantic suspense.
  • J.K. Rowling: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. YA fantasy. Re-listen.
  • David Foster Wallace: Consider the Lobster and other essays. Collection of essays and articles.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove...

Bibliophile discusses Van Dine’s rules for writing detective stories

Writers have been putting down advice for wannabe writers for centuries, about everything from how to captivate readers to how to build a story and write believable characters to getting published. The mystery genre has had its fair share, and one of the best known advisory essays is mystery writer’s S.S. Van Dine’s 1928 piece “Twenty rules for writing detective stories.” I mentioned in one of my reviews that I might write about these rules. Well, I finally gave myself the time to do it. First comes the rule (condensed), then what I think about it. Here are the Rules as Van Dine wrote them . (Incidentally, check out the rest of this excellent mystery reader’s resource: Gaslight ) The rules are meant to apply to whodunnit amateur detective fiction, but the main ones can be applied to police and P.I. fiction as well. I will discuss them mostly in this context, but will also mention genres where the rules don’t apply and authors who have successfully and unsuccessfully broken the rules. 1...

Meme: Top Ten Tuesdays: Top Ten Book to Movie Adaptations

This meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . To see more favourite book-to-movie adaptations, head over there to see which movies the other participants have nominated. I am going to cheat and interpret ‘movie’ as ‘film’, so I can include television adaptations. Oscar and Lucinda , from the book by Peter Carey. Apart from the changed ending it is an incredibly faithful adaptation, with every character perfectly cast. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo , from the book by Stieg Larsson. This one actually improves on the book, which is well plotted but badly written. Cold Comfort Farm , from the book by Stella Gibbons. Perfect casting and quite faithful to the original. High Fidelity , from the book by Nick Hornby. Moving the story to America didn’t hurt it one bit. Fried Green Tomatoes (at the Whistle Stop Café), from the book by Fannie Flagg. Perfect casting and faithful to the story. Pride and Prejudice from the book by Jane Austen, the latest BBC adaptation. Incredibly f...