Skip to main content

Friday book list # 5: Narrow Dog to Carcasonne by Terry Darlington


Books mentioned in Narrow Dog to Carcasonne by Terry Darlington.
This book actually has a list of references at the back, which was a tremendous help to me because I clean forgot to start jotting things down until I was on chapter ten. This list, however, is not copied straight from that list, as some of the references are not to titles but rather quotations or allusions, and I did find one or two titles that were mentioned in the text but not in the list of references. And of course the fictional books are not included in the list.

As before I have only included anything when an actual title was mentioned. For many of the poems they are not given in the main text of the book but only in the reference list.

Publications:

The Guardian
Guide Navicarte (probably a partial title)

Le Monde 
Le Sénonais libéré

Whippet Breed  Standard by the Kennel Club

Novels:

Le Charretier de la Providence (by Georges Simenon). The link goes to my review of this book.
Jack the Disemboweller - this is a funny back-translation of the title of Patricia Cornwell's book Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper—Case Closed
The Volcano Lover by Susan Sontag (Mentioned in a fake interview at the end, which I think must have been added in the paperback edition)
The War of the Worlds (by H.G. Wells, although he reference might just as well have been to one of the movies)

Poems: (links to both French originals and English translations, and author links to Wikipedia articles)
The Drunken Boat (Le Bateau Ivre) by Arthur Rimbaud
The Albatross (L'Albatros) by Charles Baudelaire
A Prayer to Go to Heaven with the Donkeys (Prière pour aller au paradis avec les ânes) by Francis Jammes
Cemetery by the Sea (Le Cimetière Marin) by Paul Valéry. This link goes to a side-by-side of the French original and an English translation.

Short story:
The Birds (by Daphne du Maurier). I did find the full story on the Web, but as I think it's still under copyright I decided not to link to it. The Wikipedia link has a summary for those who wish to know what it's about.

Non-fiction:
The Oxford History of England
The Book of Common Prayer


Fictional titles:
Your Dog Will Get You in the End. I quite like to read this one, having known one or two dogs so inclined.
How to Stop Your Dog Behaving Like a Bloody Animal.
Boating for Fun magazine. I could find no such publication, so I'm putting it on the fictional list.

Probably fictional, possibly not:


Your Dog is Watching You. There is an actual book by that title, written by one Jim Heath, but considering Darlington's the sense of humour he might just as well have invented this title. I am inclined to believe the latter, because that book and this were published in the same year.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove...

Bibliophile discusses Van Dine’s rules for writing detective stories

Writers have been putting down advice for wannabe writers for centuries, about everything from how to captivate readers to how to build a story and write believable characters to getting published. The mystery genre has had its fair share, and one of the best known advisory essays is mystery writer’s S.S. Van Dine’s 1928 piece “Twenty rules for writing detective stories.” I mentioned in one of my reviews that I might write about these rules. Well, I finally gave myself the time to do it. First comes the rule (condensed), then what I think about it. Here are the Rules as Van Dine wrote them . (Incidentally, check out the rest of this excellent mystery reader’s resource: Gaslight ) The rules are meant to apply to whodunnit amateur detective fiction, but the main ones can be applied to police and P.I. fiction as well. I will discuss them mostly in this context, but will also mention genres where the rules don’t apply and authors who have successfully and unsuccessfully broken the rules. 1...

Meme: Top Ten Tuesdays: Top Ten Book to Movie Adaptations

This meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . To see more favourite book-to-movie adaptations, head over there to see which movies the other participants have nominated. I am going to cheat and interpret ‘movie’ as ‘film’, so I can include television adaptations. Oscar and Lucinda , from the book by Peter Carey. Apart from the changed ending it is an incredibly faithful adaptation, with every character perfectly cast. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo , from the book by Stieg Larsson. This one actually improves on the book, which is well plotted but badly written. Cold Comfort Farm , from the book by Stella Gibbons. Perfect casting and quite faithful to the original. High Fidelity , from the book by Nick Hornby. Moving the story to America didn’t hurt it one bit. Fried Green Tomatoes (at the Whistle Stop Café), from the book by Fannie Flagg. Perfect casting and faithful to the story. Pride and Prejudice from the book by Jane Austen, the latest BBC adaptation. Incredibly f...