Skip to main content

Romance review: Happy Ever After by Nora Roberts

Genre: Romance, contemporary
Series: The Bride Quartet
Year of publication: 2010
Setting & time: Greenwich, Connecticut, US; contemporary
Level of sensuality: Hot, breathless kissing, short and flowery sex scenes.

Parker Brown (‘of the Connecticut Browns’) is a modern day princess: classy, beautiful, wealthy and well-bred, but blessedly free of any pretension or hauteur (except when faced with people likely to hurt her friends). She is the planner, director and M.C. of Vows, the one who holds the whole wedding-planning business together.

Malcolm is a Harley-driving former Hollywood stunt-man who ran away from a damaged childhood but has returned to run his own automobile repair-shop and plays poker with Parker’s brother Del.

Ever since Parker kissed Mal to spite her brother, he had been interested in knowing her better, and the chemistry is undeniable. But will her breeding and his past get in their way?

Not a bit. Their story runs a smooth and shiny and not very eventful course through a narrative in which two weddings are the high points, when it should have been scenes between the two of them. Their characters are well-written and rounded, although Parker has a somewhat Mary Sue-ish flavour. While they are first appear to be clear opposites, she the modern American princess and he the wild boy from the wrong side of the tracks who clawed his way up and became a successful business owner, they are in fact both goal-oriented, business-minded and focused individuals.

The usual humour and high-quality writing is there (I have said it before, although not here, that Roberts could easily write what the snobs call “serious fiction”), and the plotting is smooth, but there is something missing. It would have been so easy to have a bit of fun with the bad boy-good girl/peasant-princess combination, but instead we get a glittering and perfect romance where everything is smooth and perfectly perfect and love’s course runs nearly obstacle free. Even the descriptions of stormy passions tearing through the bodies of the protagonists when they have sex aren’t enough to make the romance feel as passionate as it could be. I had been hoping for a climactic ending to this tetralogy, but what I got was a fizz (or should I say a whimper?). 2+ stars.
--

Overall, I have to say this tetralogy has been disappointing in its glittery smoothness, but I’m not going to let that stop me from reading Roberts’ future books, or to continue my journey through her back-list. After all, an author cannot be expected to produce top-of-the line work every time. Besides, I must admit that my favourite Roberts books (written under that name) have always been her standalone romantic thrillers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Icelandic folk-tale: The Laughing Merman

Icelanders not only believed in the existence of selkies, but also in mer-people. The mermaids were said to be very beautiful, while the mermen were supposed to be ugly as sin but very wise and able to see things others did not. O nce upon a time a farmer went out fishing and pulled up a merman. He tried to get the merman to talk to him but he would not answer, except to beg him to release him back into the sea, but this the farmer refused to do. The farmer rowed back to land, taking the captive merman with him. When he pulled up the boat on the shore, his wife came to him and greeted him with tenderness and kisses, which he received with pleasure. This made the merman laugh. Then the man’s dog came to him and greeted him tenderly in the way of dogs, by jumping up to him, but the farmer hit the dog. Again the merman laughed. Then the farmer walked up towards his house, but on the way he tripped over a tussock and hurt himself. He got angry and gave the tussock a good kicking. Then...

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove...

Bibliophile discusses Van Dine’s rules for writing detective stories

Writers have been putting down advice for wannabe writers for centuries, about everything from how to captivate readers to how to build a story and write believable characters to getting published. The mystery genre has had its fair share, and one of the best known advisory essays is mystery writer’s S.S. Van Dine’s 1928 piece “Twenty rules for writing detective stories.” I mentioned in one of my reviews that I might write about these rules. Well, I finally gave myself the time to do it. First comes the rule (condensed), then what I think about it. Here are the Rules as Van Dine wrote them . (Incidentally, check out the rest of this excellent mystery reader’s resource: Gaslight ) The rules are meant to apply to whodunnit amateur detective fiction, but the main ones can be applied to police and P.I. fiction as well. I will discuss them mostly in this context, but will also mention genres where the rules don’t apply and authors who have successfully and unsuccessfully broken the rules. 1...