Skip to main content

The book that made me feel dirty

I have read any number of books that made me salivate because of delectable descriptions of food or made me cry because they touched me. Books have made me angry, happy, sad and disgusted, and even a little horny, but the only book that has ever made me feel dirty was Kenneth Anger’s Hollywood Babylon, a nasty, sour little collection of photographs and scandal stories featuring actors and other famous Hollywood personalities. I bought it (second hand) out of curiosity, having read an article in a newspaper about the Fatty Arbuckle trial that referenced it. I read the whole thing in 2 sittings and emerged from it with an itchy, prickly feeling in my skin like I had been rolling in something nasty that had left a crust, and my stomach feeling like I had been eating something that wasn’t good for me. Unfortunately a shower does little to alleviate this kind of dirty feeling. What I needed was a psychological cleansing, but the shower did clear my head and make be feel a little better.

At the time I couldn’t understand why I didn’t just stop reading it when the feeling started, but now I have come to the conclusion that while undeniably icky, it is also the best example of a page-turner that I have ever come across. It is hard to put it down because you can’t believe what your eyes are seeing and reading, and morbid curiosity draws you onwards as you read about the sad and often horrible fates of famous Hollywood personages: their sexual escapades, accidents they were involved in, crimes they committed or were committed against them, and their sometimes miserable and horrible deaths. What made me sick was not so much reading about these things or even the often explicit photographs of dead celebrities, but the cynicism and sensationalistic tone and the schadenfreude and total lack of sympathy of the author for his subjects. I cold almost hear him sniggering as I read some particularly lurid allegation or looked at any of the numerous photographs of the famous looking less than glamorous, meant to show their moral turpitude but really just showing them as being human after all.

It has been proved that a number of the stories told in the book are partially or wholly inaccurate and there is much speculating by the author that doesn’t hold up to even the most basic standards of reporting. It has also been alleged that some of the photographs in the book are not of the people he purports they show, and that some photos have been doctored to make them look more shocking, particularly some apparently pantyless shots of actresses, although that may have been in book 2 (I no longer have the book to refer to). Subsequent editions – I don’t think the book has been out of print since its original publication in 1959 – have not corrected the inaccuracies, so it should be taken with many grains of salt.

If you like lurid and sensational accounts of famous people and their “scandalous” behaviour and you don't care about the truth, this is a must read, but if you want historical accuracy and objectivity, look elsewhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book 40: The Martian by Andy Weir, audiobook read by Wil Wheaton

Note : This will be a general scattershot discussion about my thoughts on the book and the movie, and not a cohesive review. When movies are based on books I am interested in reading but haven't yet read, I generally wait to read the book until I have seen the movie, but when a movie is made based on a book I have already read, I try to abstain from rereading the book until I have seen the movie. The reason is simple: I am one of those people who can be reduced to near-incoherent rage when a movie severely alters the perfectly good story line of a beloved book, changes the ending beyond recognition or adds unnecessarily to the story ( The Hobbit , anyone?) without any apparent reason. I don't mind omissions of unnecessary parts so much (I did not, for example, become enraged to find Tom Bombadil missing from The Lord of the Rings ), because one expects that - movies based on books would be TV-series long if they tried to include everything, so the material must be pared down

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove

First book of 2020: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach (reading notes)

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I loathe movie tie-in book covers because I feel they are (often) trying to tell me how I should see the characters in the book. The edition of Deborah Moggach's These Foolish Things that I read takes it one step further and changes the title of the book into the title of the film version as well as having photos of the ensemble cast on the cover. Fortunately it has been a long while since I watched the movie, so I couldn't even remember who played whom in the film, and I think it's perfectly understandable to try to cash in on the movie's success by rebranding the book. Even with a few years between watching the film and reading the book, I could see that the story had been altered, e.g. by having the Marigold Hotel's owner/manager be single and having a romance, instead being of unhappily married to an (understandably, I thought) shrewish wife. It also conflates Sonny, the wheeler dealer behind the retireme