Skip to main content

Short stories 86-90

Page count: 1472

I cheated a bit on the challenge over Easter. I thought could safely leave behind all my short story collections when I went to stay with my parents over the holidays because I was sure they were bound to have something I could read for the challenge. This proved wrong. Therefore I will be reading 2 short stories a day until I catch up.

“The Good Bargain”, a folk tale from The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm. A story about stupidity, greed and unexpected cleverness. Rather racist and certainly not one of the memorable tales. (Link is to a different translation).

“Harry”, by Rosemary Timperley. From Roald Dahl's Book of Ghost Stories. A chilling and well written tale of an imaginary friend – or is he? Recommended.

“The Sand Sifter”, by W.D. Valgardsson. From The Divorced Kid’s Club and other stories. A bit of depressing social realism.

“The country mouse and the town mouse” by Aesop. From Great Short Stories of the World. One of Aesop’s immortal fables. (Links to a different translation).

“A bracelet at Bruges”, by Arnold Bennett. From More Rivals of Sherlock Holmes. A clever little crime story. Reads like it could originally come from a collection of interconnected stories.

I have a bit of a problem with Great Short Stories of the World: not all of what the editors of the collection call “short stories” are what I would call short stories. They do have the requisite structure and brevity, but are taken from within longer narratives – not frame stories, which were and still are a perfectly acceptable way of tying together collections of short stories, but for example from within the Odyssey and The Bible. I have decided to use my discretion when choosing which of them are suited to the challenge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove...

Bibliophile discusses Van Dine’s rules for writing detective stories

Writers have been putting down advice for wannabe writers for centuries, about everything from how to captivate readers to how to build a story and write believable characters to getting published. The mystery genre has had its fair share, and one of the best known advisory essays is mystery writer’s S.S. Van Dine’s 1928 piece “Twenty rules for writing detective stories.” I mentioned in one of my reviews that I might write about these rules. Well, I finally gave myself the time to do it. First comes the rule (condensed), then what I think about it. Here are the Rules as Van Dine wrote them . (Incidentally, check out the rest of this excellent mystery reader’s resource: Gaslight ) The rules are meant to apply to whodunnit amateur detective fiction, but the main ones can be applied to police and P.I. fiction as well. I will discuss them mostly in this context, but will also mention genres where the rules don’t apply and authors who have successfully and unsuccessfully broken the rules. 1...

Meme: Top Ten Tuesdays: Top Ten Book to Movie Adaptations

This meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . To see more favourite book-to-movie adaptations, head over there to see which movies the other participants have nominated. I am going to cheat and interpret ‘movie’ as ‘film’, so I can include television adaptations. Oscar and Lucinda , from the book by Peter Carey. Apart from the changed ending it is an incredibly faithful adaptation, with every character perfectly cast. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo , from the book by Stieg Larsson. This one actually improves on the book, which is well plotted but badly written. Cold Comfort Farm , from the book by Stella Gibbons. Perfect casting and quite faithful to the original. High Fidelity , from the book by Nick Hornby. Moving the story to America didn’t hurt it one bit. Fried Green Tomatoes (at the Whistle Stop Café), from the book by Fannie Flagg. Perfect casting and faithful to the story. Pride and Prejudice from the book by Jane Austen, the latest BBC adaptation. Incredibly f...