Skip to main content

Bibliophile reviews Kathy Reichs' Death du Jour



No. in series: 2
Year of publication: 1999
Availability: In print
Pages: 379 (hardcover)
Settings and time: Montreal, Canada, Carolina, USA, winter of 1998.
Type of mystery: Murder, thriller
Type of investigator: Forensic anthropologist/amateur detective, police
Some themes: Murder, religion, cults

OK, I know said in a comment that I was going to wait a month, but I couldn’t resist this when I spotted it at the library.

It’s the middle of winter and Tempe Brennan is called in to help identify the burnt remains of people found on the site of an arson. Soon, more bodies begin stacking up. Tempe returns to her hometown in Carolina where she is teaching physical anthropology at a university. While visiting an island nature “reserve” with her daughter she finds more bodies. Clues suggest that the deaths in both Canada and the USA may be connected to the same cult, and Tempe’s sister may be in danger.

Review:
I had been told that the Tempe Brennan books get better as the series continues, but if this book is anything to go by, I am not sure I agree. Reichs has - annoyingly - joined the “had I but known” school of mystery writers. The writing style has improved somewhat from the first book, although she is still prone to redundancies, like telling the reader what day it is today when she has already told them a few paragraphs ago what day it was yesterday, and inserting comments or quips that have absolutely nothing to do with the story or character interaction. She also sometimes inserts dramatic statements into the story, like this example:

What he told be next sent an icy wind rocketing through my soul (p. 272).

While I appreciate the effort to avoid the cliché "my blood ran cold", this is over the top.
Tempe is not as recklessly stupid as before, which is an improvement, but the story, although thrilling, is highly unlikely and so fraught with coincidence that it soon stops being even remotely realistic. The side story would have been more interesting if I had not been able to guess right away what the twist would be.

Rating: The writing style has improved while the story is not on par with the previous one. 3 stars.

Comments

Maxine Clarke said…
Maybe you'll end up thinking the same as me. I did try a couple more, but I did find they slow up and get even less plausible with time.
Have you tried Karin Slaughter, who I think is much better than Reichs or Cornwell? Also Tess Gerriston is bringing her pathologist character more into focus in her books: the first one I read was mainly about the female policeman but the emphasis shifts towards the pathologist (Maura ....) in later books.
Karin Slaughter seems to be able to write well about not much action. The penultimate book in her series (so far), without wishing to spoil, mainly took place in a siege situation, and was mainly told in flashback. In my view it maintained the tension incredibly well.
Her most recent book is also good, though I think the plot somewhat far-fetched, the characterisation is well-established and somehow it "works" (for me!).
all the best.
Maxine.
Bibliophile said…
This will probably be the last Reichs book I read. I looked at the synopsis for the next book, and decided the biker gang angle was a bit too much. And here was I thinking I had found a good replacement for Cornwell.

I am not familiar with Karin Slaughter, but I have a couple of Tess Gerritsen books on my TBR list. Will see if the library has any of Slaughter's books. Thanks for the recommendation.

Popular posts from this blog

Book 40: The Martian by Andy Weir, audiobook read by Wil Wheaton

Note : This will be a general scattershot discussion about my thoughts on the book and the movie, and not a cohesive review. When movies are based on books I am interested in reading but haven't yet read, I generally wait to read the book until I have seen the movie, but when a movie is made based on a book I have already read, I try to abstain from rereading the book until I have seen the movie. The reason is simple: I am one of those people who can be reduced to near-incoherent rage when a movie severely alters the perfectly good story line of a beloved book, changes the ending beyond recognition or adds unnecessarily to the story ( The Hobbit , anyone?) without any apparent reason. I don't mind omissions of unnecessary parts so much (I did not, for example, become enraged to find Tom Bombadil missing from The Lord of the Rings ), because one expects that - movies based on books would be TV-series long if they tried to include everything, so the material must be pared down

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove

First book of 2020: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach (reading notes)

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I loathe movie tie-in book covers because I feel they are (often) trying to tell me how I should see the characters in the book. The edition of Deborah Moggach's These Foolish Things that I read takes it one step further and changes the title of the book into the title of the film version as well as having photos of the ensemble cast on the cover. Fortunately it has been a long while since I watched the movie, so I couldn't even remember who played whom in the film, and I think it's perfectly understandable to try to cash in on the movie's success by rebranding the book. Even with a few years between watching the film and reading the book, I could see that the story had been altered, e.g. by having the Marigold Hotel's owner/manager be single and having a romance, instead being of unhappily married to an (understandably, I thought) shrewish wife. It also conflates Sonny, the wheeler dealer behind the retireme