Skip to main content

Weekly Monday Round-up (September 26, 2016)



It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Kathryn at the Book Dat and is "a place to meet up and share what you have been, are and about to be reading over the week."

Visit the Book Date to see what various other book bloggers have been up to in the past week.






Non challenge books I finished last week:

  • It's All About Treo: Life, Love and War with the World's Bravest Dog by Dave Heyhoe and Damien Lewis. Non-fiction, memoir.

Mini review: The true story of the 6 months explosives search dog Treo and his handler, Dave, spent in Helmand Province in Afghanistan in 2008. Treo sniffed out some very dangerous IEDs, saving the lives of soldiers and civilians, and was awarded the Dickin Medal for his efforts in 2010.
The book is at times heart-warming, but there are also gruesome scenes of death and destruction.

Heyhoe (or his collaborator (ghostwriter?), Damien Lewis), has an annoying fondness for the word "whilst" that manages to make everyday sentences sound pretentious.


  • The Darwin Awards 2: More True Stories of How Dumb Humans Have Met Their Maker by Wendy Northcutt. Mixture of fiction and non-fiction. Tales of people who removed themselves prematurely from the gene pool, some fictitious, others unfortunately true.
Mini review: There was a time when I was an avid follower of the Darwin Awards website. I used to read the nominations, chuckle and shake my head, thinking "Is there no end to human stupidity?" or occasionally "No way this is true!" Then I think I overdosed on these stories and I began to find them gruesome and tasteless, so I'm not really sure why I picked this up, except maybe because it was second-hand and on sale, and I was looking for a book to read in the loo, something with short, complete pieces that could be finished in a short sitting.

Anyway, I ended up reading it in bed, a chapter at a sitting, and the first 9 chapters I just found depressing because of all the stupidity and bad luck (I still couldn't stop reading), but then I hit the final chapter which contains Darwin Award winners from past years, some of which have been confirmed as fiction/urban legends, and  found myself having a laughing fit such as I haven't had in years, the kind where you laugh so hard you think you're going to burst something, it's hard to breathe because your diaphragm is spasming and tears run down your face. I don't even remember which story it was that set me off, but reading about a horrible but funny death was suddenly okay because it was an urban legend, i.e. no-one had died for real.
Only recommended for that final chapter and/or if you have a high-level of schadenfreude.

  • Hickory Dickory Dock by Agatha Christie. Murder mystery.

Not much to say about this, except that I knew who the killer was about halfway into the book, but couldn't see what the motive was until nearer to the end.









  • Les Liaisons Culinaires by Andreas Staikos. Culinary love story and recipe book.
Wikipedia tells me there is a movie and I intend to find out more about that, because I love food movies.
Micro review: Delicious-sounding recipes, but the story couldn't hold me for some reason.




 Reading challenge progress: I am reading the last book  for What's in a Name and have 2 to go in the Nonfiction challenge. 

 Last week's book haul: (click to enlarge)


I will elaborate on this stack later in the week.

Other activities last week:
I stayed at a health spa for the whole of July and managed to get into better shape than I have been in for years. Since coming home I have been taking walks for my health, trying to get in a minimum of 5 kilometres a day. I don't always go somewhere I can walk a new route and in order to not become bored with walking in the same area day after day, I have been loading my phone with music to listen to.

Lately, I have been downloading podcasts and on my last walk I listened to two and a half episodes of Thinking Allowed from the BBC. This is a program that I have enjoyed on and off at home for several years and it suddenly occurred to me to listen to it during my walks. Not only is the subject matter (sociology and related subjects) interesting and varied, but each episode is around 28 minutes long. It takes me around 10 minutes to walk one kilometre, so I know it's time to start heading homewards when the second episode ends.
I decided to listen systematically to this show, and I'm up to January 2013, so I have many, many episodes left to listen to.  


DVDs I watched this week:
I picked up the first season of Supernatural second hand some time ago and finally sat down to watch the pilot and first few episodes.

As I expected, it's formulaic but still entertaining (and the leads are hot, which is always a bonus).

It's sort of like watching early paranormal episodes of The X-Files, only with freelance investigators and no romantic "will they or won't they" question hanging in the air. Instead it's "will they find dear old dad?" and "when will they find the killer?"

I have deliberately not read up on the show, so I don't know if they ever do find their father, but I'm inclined to think they will, and the second question will become the main quest, or perhaps they will find an entirely new MacGuffin.

Comments

Your stack of books looks quite intriguing. Illustration Now! Curious about that one, especially.

Have a great week!

http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2016/09/nothing-but-picture-books.html
Greg said…
Nice book haul! And I'm sorry but your mini review of the Darwin Awards book cracked me up. I think I would feel the same way.

I'm trying to get into podcasts more. Maybe listening while walking would be a good way.
Bibliophile said…
Deb, I'll have more to say about Illustration Now! when I write up the details of my book haul later in the week.

Greg, podcasts make for a nice change from music and radio. I've been considering making up a playlist of different podcasts interspersed by music to listen to during my walks.
The stay in the health spa sounds fantastic and I'm glad you've found some good podcasts to pass the time of your walks.

Your book haul looks like a big one this week! Hope you enjoy your reading!

Here's my Weekly Roundup
HA I used to love the Darwin Awards collections - they're perfect because you can just pick them up, read an entry or two, laugh a bit, and forget about the book until the next time you need a laugh. :)
Kathryn T said…
Explosives dogs and their handlers are so amazing. Aren't podcasts great, I sometimes listen while I am sewing, when walking I listen to audiobooks which are a great way to go too.
I really want to read more of Agatha Christie's writing - I've only read one of two. Your book haul stack looks interesting. I hope you have a great week, and enjoy all your upcoming reads!
Christina T said…
Walking is a great way to stay healthy. I need to get back to it. Good luck with your health and fitness goals.

I haven't watched Supernatural though I am familiar a little bit with the story as a coworker is a huge fan. Glad you are enjoying it so far.

Popular posts from this blog

Book 40: The Martian by Andy Weir, audiobook read by Wil Wheaton

Note : This will be a general scattershot discussion about my thoughts on the book and the movie, and not a cohesive review. When movies are based on books I am interested in reading but haven't yet read, I generally wait to read the book until I have seen the movie, but when a movie is made based on a book I have already read, I try to abstain from rereading the book until I have seen the movie. The reason is simple: I am one of those people who can be reduced to near-incoherent rage when a movie severely alters the perfectly good story line of a beloved book, changes the ending beyond recognition or adds unnecessarily to the story ( The Hobbit , anyone?) without any apparent reason. I don't mind omissions of unnecessary parts so much (I did not, for example, become enraged to find Tom Bombadil missing from The Lord of the Rings ), because one expects that - movies based on books would be TV-series long if they tried to include everything, so the material must be pared down

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove

First book of 2020: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach (reading notes)

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I loathe movie tie-in book covers because I feel they are (often) trying to tell me how I should see the characters in the book. The edition of Deborah Moggach's These Foolish Things that I read takes it one step further and changes the title of the book into the title of the film version as well as having photos of the ensemble cast on the cover. Fortunately it has been a long while since I watched the movie, so I couldn't even remember who played whom in the film, and I think it's perfectly understandable to try to cash in on the movie's success by rebranding the book. Even with a few years between watching the film and reading the book, I could see that the story had been altered, e.g. by having the Marigold Hotel's owner/manager be single and having a romance, instead being of unhappily married to an (understandably, I thought) shrewish wife. It also conflates Sonny, the wheeler dealer behind the retireme