02 September 2010

Reading report for August 2010

I finished 15 books in August. Of those, I had started reading two more than a month ago – one in June and one probably at some time near the beginning of the year.

I had an attack of reader’s block in the middle of the month. I would begin a book, only to abandon it after only one reading session in order to begin a new book, or I would read a chapter here and a chapter there in the books I am reading "at leisure", never reading more than 10 or so pages of each book each time. I finally did find a book to settle down with and then it was as if a reading machine had been turned on and I read 5 books in three days, all of them around 300 pages long.

4 of my August books were rereads:
  • Jennifer Crusie: Getting Rid of Bradley (contemporary romance)
  • J.K. Rowling: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban (fantasy)
  • J.K. Rowling: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (fantasy)
  • J.K. Rowling: Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix (fantasy)

These were the only books that did not belong to a challenge of some sort.

As to the rest, all 5 non-fiction books are part of a mini-challenge to read more non-fiction; 5 books were part of the perpetual TBR challenge; 2 were Top Mystery challenge reads; 2 were Bibliophilic Book Challenge reads; and 1 was a Global reading Challenge book. Since this comes to a total of 19, it should be obvious that some books were part of more than one challenge.

The books:
  • Connie Brockway: My Dearest Enemy (historical romance)
  • Jack Finney: Time and Again (time travel)
  • Peter Haining: The Classic Era of Crime Fiction (literary history)
  • Carol Livingston: Gecko Tails: A Journey through Cambodia (travelogue)
  • John D. MacDonald: The Dreadful Lemon Sky (mystery thriller)
  • Ellis Peters: The Devil's Novice (historical mystery)
  • Will Randall: Botswana Time (travelogue) - will post review in September
  • Rannveig Tómasdóttir: Andlit Asíu (travelogue)
  • Ernesto Sabato: The Tunnel (Spanish: El tunel) (literary novel)
  • Jane Smiley: Charles Dickens (biographical study)
  • Patricia Wentworth: Miss Silver Comes to Stay (mystery) - will post review in September

4 comments:

George said...

Rereading? What's that? With my Read Real Soon pile of books reaching skyward, I rarely reread books. And, when I do reread a book (something I do maybe once or twice a year) it takes a very compelling reason.

Dorte H said...

And I thought I did well with ten books! Well, perhaps it is because I also wrote quite a bit.

Plotwise, my best August read was definitely "My Soul to Take". Marvelous crime novel.

Bibliophile said...

George, some readers do, and others don't. I guess we fall into different categories ;-)

gautami tripathy said...

You did so well! I read 8!


Here is my August Wrap Up post!