Skip to main content

What‘s in a Name Reading Challenge: List of all categories from the beginning

The What‘s in a Name reading challenge has been running since 2008, but I have only participated three times. I think it's one of the best reading challenges out there because it's not too big or involved, it's fun to do and some of the categories can be interpreted creatively.

I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the categories for the years I didn‘t participate and see if I have enough TBR books to set myself a little private TBR challenge to complete all the categories ever used in the challenge.

It took a bit of searching to find the first two lists, but I managed it in the end (or at least I hope they’re the right ones). I figured this research might be of interest to others, so I‘m posting a list of the entire run of the challenge, including the lists for the years when I did participate.

There are several categories that are repeated: e.g. a color, a relative/family, a profession, a plant, and I decided I would do the repeats. Then I checked to see if I actually had TBR books that fit all the categories, and guess what: I do, and it's enough to complete even the repeats, although I had to use my imagination for one of them.

Below is the list, containing some titles for each category, excluding the years I participated, i.e. this year and 2011 and 2012. In some cases these are just a sampling of what I found, while in other cases the books listed constitute all the applicable books in my possession. You will also see some of them in more than one category, e.g. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, which appears under the categories "a profession" and "a first name".

It remains to be seen how I will eventually choose the titles I actually read, but I might make a book jar or maybe I'll fill a shelf with books to choose from like I have done once before for my perpetual TBR challenge, or I might take a look at which ones I have owned the longest and read those first.

And now, I give you the lists:


2016:
  • a country
  • an item of clothing
  • an item of furniture
  • a profession
  • a month of the year
  • a title with the word ‘tree’ in it


2015:
  • a word including ‘ing’ in it (Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zore Neale Hurston; Death in the Dining Room by Kennteh L. Ames; Running with the Moon by Jonny Bealby; Breaking Point by Susanne Brockmann; Shaking a Leg by Angela Carter (already reading this, need to finish); Skating to Antarctica by Jenny Diski; several more)
  • a colour (Bluebeard's Egg by Margaret Atwood, several more)
  • a familial relation (including by marriage) (
    The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany)
  • a body of water (Courage at Sea by Naomi James; Southern Seas by Manuel Vazquez Montalban)
  • a city (The Cambridge Murders by Glyn Daniel; Athens Encounter by Victoria Kyriakopoulos, several more)
  • an animal (The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams



2014:
  • a reference to time (The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern
  • a position of royalty (The Emperor's Assassin by T.F. Banks; King and Joker by Peter Dickinson; The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany)
  • a number written in letters (Billion Year Spree by Brian Aldiss; A Thousand Miles Up the Nile by Amelia B. Edwards)
  • a forename or names (The Devil's Delilah by Loretta Chase; The New Sonia Wayward by Michael Innes, a couple more)
  • a type or element of weather (Under a Monsoon Cloud by H.R.F. Keating; Thunder on the Left by Christopher Morley; The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón)


2013:
  • up or down (or equivalent) (Wings Above the Diamantina by Arthur Upfield; The Moon is Down by John Steinbeck; A Thousand Miles Up the Nile by Amelia B. Edwards; Over the Edge byJonathan Kellerman)
  • something you'd find in your kitchen (A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway; Cabbages and Kings by O. Henry; Appetite for Murder by Cecile Lamalle; A Knife at the Opera by Susannah Stacey; John Saturnall's Feast by Lawrence Norfolk)
  • a party or celebration (Dancing at the Victory Café by Helene Wiggin; Big Night Out by various)
  • fire (or equivalent) (Frostfire by Lynn Viehl; River of Fire by Mary Jo Putney; How to Build a Fire by Erin Bried)
  • an emotion (Maigret a Peur by Georges Simenon; The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck; The Love Department by William Trevor)
  • lost or found (or equivalent) (Lost Worlds by Michael Bywater; Lost in the Barrens by Faley Mowat; 1491: The Year China Discovered the World by Gavin Menzies)
     

2012:
  • a topographical feature (land formation)
  • something you'd see in the sky
  • a creepy crawly
  • a type of house (Brahmins and Bungalows by Kavita Watsa)
  • something you'd carry in your pocket, purse, or backpack
  • something you'd find on a calendar 

     
2011:
  • a number
  • jewelry or a gem
  • a size
  • travel or movement
  • evil (bad, wicked, etc.)
  • a life stage




2010:
  • a food (The Mystery of Swordfish Reef by Arthur Upfield; The Golden Apples of the Sun by Ray Bradbury)
  • a body of water (A Girl and a River by Usha K.R.)
  • a title (The First Detective by Andrew Morton)
  • a plant (The Tulip by Anna Pavord)
  • a place name ( The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster, Tales of the Alhambra by Washington Irving)
  • a music term (Farewell the Trumpets by James Morris (first I must finish Pax Brittanica); Piano Shop on the Left Bank by Thad Carhart; A Piano in the Pyrenees by Tony Hawks; The Singing Sands by Josephine Tey )


2009:
  • a profession (Adventures of a Cameraman by Wallace Kirkland; Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams)
  • a time of day (Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier; After Midnight, The Blue Noon, Night Crossing or Early One Morning by Robert Ryan)
  • a relative (May You Be the Mother of a Hundred Sons by Elizabeth Bumiller; Our Grandmother's Drums by Mark Hudson; The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany)
  • a body part (Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zore Neale Hurston; In the Teeth of the Evidence by Dorothy L. Sayers; Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown (double points!))
  • a building (Rome and a Villa by Eleanor Clark)
  • a medical condition (The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddharta Mukherjee; Hvað er til ráða gegn þunglyndi by Sue Breton; Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown; )
2008:
  • a  colour (My Name is Red or The Black Book by Orhan Pamuk, several more)
  • an animal (The Lambs of London by Peter Ackroyd; Coyote by Linda Barnes; The Leopard by Giuseppe de Lampedusa; Women Who Run with the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estés)
  • a first name (Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams; Maurice by E.M. Forster, several more)
  • a place (The Clerkenwell Tales by Peter Ackroyd; Murder on the Verandah by Eric Lawlor; Casanova in Bolzano by Sandor Marai; East of Eden by John Steinbeck; After Babel by George Steiner)
  • weather (The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón; Windy City Blues by Sara Paretsky)
  • a plant (The Orchid Thief by Susan Orlean)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book 40: The Martian by Andy Weir, audiobook read by Wil Wheaton

Note : This will be a general scattershot discussion about my thoughts on the book and the movie, and not a cohesive review. When movies are based on books I am interested in reading but haven't yet read, I generally wait to read the book until I have seen the movie, but when a movie is made based on a book I have already read, I try to abstain from rereading the book until I have seen the movie. The reason is simple: I am one of those people who can be reduced to near-incoherent rage when a movie severely alters the perfectly good story line of a beloved book, changes the ending beyond recognition or adds unnecessarily to the story ( The Hobbit , anyone?) without any apparent reason. I don't mind omissions of unnecessary parts so much (I did not, for example, become enraged to find Tom Bombadil missing from The Lord of the Rings ), because one expects that - movies based on books would be TV-series long if they tried to include everything, so the material must be pared down

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove

First book of 2020: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach (reading notes)

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I loathe movie tie-in book covers because I feel they are (often) trying to tell me how I should see the characters in the book. The edition of Deborah Moggach's These Foolish Things that I read takes it one step further and changes the title of the book into the title of the film version as well as having photos of the ensemble cast on the cover. Fortunately it has been a long while since I watched the movie, so I couldn't even remember who played whom in the film, and I think it's perfectly understandable to try to cash in on the movie's success by rebranding the book. Even with a few years between watching the film and reading the book, I could see that the story had been altered, e.g. by having the Marigold Hotel's owner/manager be single and having a romance, instead being of unhappily married to an (understandably, I thought) shrewish wife. It also conflates Sonny, the wheeler dealer behind the retireme