Skip to main content

Bibliophile reviews Love Bites by Lynsay Sands

Genre: Paranormal romance
Year of publication: 2004
Setting & time: Toronto, Canada; present day
Some themes: Love, jealousy, madness, sex



Story: Rachel Garrett has been stuck on the night shift in the morgue for three years and thinks it sucks. A madman is stalking Etienne Argeneau and trying to kill him, 1) out of professional jealousy and, 2) because Etienne is a vampire and the stalker has watched too many episodes of Buffy. One night, after a nearly successful assassination, Etienne is brought to the morgue with a bullet in his heart and Rachel saves his life by pulling it out. The second time they meet is when he is again brought in, and this time the stalker has followed and when he tries to behead Etienne, Rachel gets in the way and is mortally wounded and Etienne turns her into a vampire to save her life. At first she is incredulous and thinks she must be comatose and dreaming, but then she begins to accept what has happened and she and Etienne enter into a sexual relationship. It takes a kidnapping by the stalker to make them realise they love each other. Happy ending and wedding bells.

Review: Have I mentioned that I have a weak spot for paranormals? Not just romances, but horror and thrillers as well, plus I like humorous novels, so this looked like an excellent choice – a light, funny paranormal – when I discovered it at the second-hand shop, so I bought it and took it home to read. I wasn't exactly disappointed, but neither was I too pleased. The story, while somewhat interesting, doesn't have much substance and could have been told in about 100 pages less, simply by cutting out some of the many sex scenes that riddle it like cancer. Don't get me wrong, they are hot sex scenes, but mostly filler material none the less, and after about the second one I found my eyes glazing over when I got to the next one, and I started skimming them.

Neither of the leading characters is very interesting, but the secondary characters make up for it up to a point. I would especially like to see more of prankish cousin Thomas, and the story of Etienne's sister and her human lover has promise, but has apparently not been written yet (this is a series novel).

There is not much of the promised humour in the story – the best scenes being the chapters where Rachel still thinks she is dreaming. The chapters where she is held captive by the stalker are darkly humorous as well, but neither sequence is laugh-out-loud funny.

The romance is not much of a romance. This is one of those stories where (increasingly better) sex is supposed to fill in for bonding, and the realisation by the lovers near the end that they love one another is not convincing.
The style is easy and readable, and the story is not bad, but needs some pruning.

Rating: Slight entertainment for lovers of romance and vampires. Plenty of out-of-this-world sex. 2 stars.

Comments

Lee said…
Hm, if you like paranormal...and romance ... we're up to Chapter 4 of MORTAL GHOST.

Popular posts from this blog

Book 40: The Martian by Andy Weir, audiobook read by Wil Wheaton

Note : This will be a general scattershot discussion about my thoughts on the book and the movie, and not a cohesive review. When movies are based on books I am interested in reading but haven't yet read, I generally wait to read the book until I have seen the movie, but when a movie is made based on a book I have already read, I try to abstain from rereading the book until I have seen the movie. The reason is simple: I am one of those people who can be reduced to near-incoherent rage when a movie severely alters the perfectly good story line of a beloved book, changes the ending beyond recognition or adds unnecessarily to the story ( The Hobbit , anyone?) without any apparent reason. I don't mind omissions of unnecessary parts so much (I did not, for example, become enraged to find Tom Bombadil missing from The Lord of the Rings ), because one expects that - movies based on books would be TV-series long if they tried to include everything, so the material must be pared down

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove

First book of 2020: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach (reading notes)

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I loathe movie tie-in book covers because I feel they are (often) trying to tell me how I should see the characters in the book. The edition of Deborah Moggach's These Foolish Things that I read takes it one step further and changes the title of the book into the title of the film version as well as having photos of the ensemble cast on the cover. Fortunately it has been a long while since I watched the movie, so I couldn't even remember who played whom in the film, and I think it's perfectly understandable to try to cash in on the movie's success by rebranding the book. Even with a few years between watching the film and reading the book, I could see that the story had been altered, e.g. by having the Marigold Hotel's owner/manager be single and having a romance, instead being of unhappily married to an (understandably, I thought) shrewish wife. It also conflates Sonny, the wheeler dealer behind the retireme