Skip to main content

Literary déja vu

Funny how one can know a story from a book so well that one almost feels as one has read it. I am reading, for the first time in full length, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, and it feels like I have read it before.

When I was a little girl, I had a series of picture books with retellings of classics works of British and American literature that included not only Little Women, but also Tom Sawyer and Black Beauty and some others. I also had some of the Classics Illustrated comic books, and I loved (and still love) to watch movies with historical settings, many of which were based on novels. All of these books and movies gave me a knowledge of the basic plots of these novels, long before I read any of them.

I knew the story of Jane Eyre well long before I read the book, from having seen 2 movies and one TV mini-series based on it, and the same goes for Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn and Little Women. Likewise, I knew The Wind in the Willows, which I read recently for the first time, from the excellent TV series, although the book did fill in some gaps corresponding to episodes I missed.

Now, when I open Little Women it’s like I am revisiting old and dear friends and getting to know them even better than I already do. The déja vu feeling I get in circumstances like these comes from the strong sense of having already read the book when I know I haven’t. Fortunately it isn’t accompanied by the feeling of eerie discomfort that comes with real déja vu, only such a strong sense of familiarity that I even remember what the nonexistent book smelled like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove...

Bibliophile discusses Van Dine’s rules for writing detective stories

Writers have been putting down advice for wannabe writers for centuries, about everything from how to captivate readers to how to build a story and write believable characters to getting published. The mystery genre has had its fair share, and one of the best known advisory essays is mystery writer’s S.S. Van Dine’s 1928 piece “Twenty rules for writing detective stories.” I mentioned in one of my reviews that I might write about these rules. Well, I finally gave myself the time to do it. First comes the rule (condensed), then what I think about it. Here are the Rules as Van Dine wrote them . (Incidentally, check out the rest of this excellent mystery reader’s resource: Gaslight ) The rules are meant to apply to whodunnit amateur detective fiction, but the main ones can be applied to police and P.I. fiction as well. I will discuss them mostly in this context, but will also mention genres where the rules don’t apply and authors who have successfully and unsuccessfully broken the rules. 1...

Meme: Top Ten Tuesdays: Top Ten Book to Movie Adaptations

This meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . To see more favourite book-to-movie adaptations, head over there to see which movies the other participants have nominated. I am going to cheat and interpret ‘movie’ as ‘film’, so I can include television adaptations. Oscar and Lucinda , from the book by Peter Carey. Apart from the changed ending it is an incredibly faithful adaptation, with every character perfectly cast. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo , from the book by Stieg Larsson. This one actually improves on the book, which is well plotted but badly written. Cold Comfort Farm , from the book by Stella Gibbons. Perfect casting and quite faithful to the original. High Fidelity , from the book by Nick Hornby. Moving the story to America didn’t hurt it one bit. Fried Green Tomatoes (at the Whistle Stop Café), from the book by Fannie Flagg. Perfect casting and faithful to the story. Pride and Prejudice from the book by Jane Austen, the latest BBC adaptation. Incredibly f...