Skip to main content

Bibliophile reviews I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

(I finally gave in and cheated on the shelf challenge...)

Year originally published: 1948
Genre: Novel
Setting & time: England, 1940s

The Story: The book is written with 17 year old Cassandra Montmain as a narrator. She is keeping a journal in which she tries to capture the character of castle she lives in and all its inhabitants. Her father once wrote a very important book, but has not written a thing in 12 years, her artist's model stepmother is wildly eccentric but also rather domestic at heart, her sister Rose is willing to sell her soul to the devil to take herself and her family out of their poverty-stricken situation (they have no regular income), and Stephen, who is a sort of servant and sort of family member, is very much in love with Cassandra, who cares for him very much but is not romantically interested in him.
The arrival of two brothers in the neighbourhood bodes changes in the family's fortunes, and here I think I will say no more, as this book is hard to review without spoilers.

Technique and plot: In this book, Dodie Smith has managed to capture the essence of a teenage girl on the verge of becoming a woman and falling in love for the fist time, and the turmoil of feelings involved in the process. But the book is much more than that. It is a wonderful portrait of a family of eccentrics who immediately made me think of two families in other books: the Starkadders from Cold Comfort Farm, and the Durrell family as described in various books by Gerald Durrell.

The narrative is by turns funny and sad and the characterisations realistic. Cassandra is a good narrator although not a very good judge of character sometimes and looks at her world with eyes open to the family's difficult situation but is also quite cheerful about it, having long ago learned to accept what has been handed out to her by fate. Rose, on the other hand, is not someone to accept a life of endless poverty and lack of new clothes and enough food, and she is really the driving force of the story. It is her decision to marry into money that gives Cassandra some juicy material to write about. While one sometimes wants to give Rose a good shaking, she still continues to be a sympathetic character because Cassandra always loves her in spite of everything she does. The father is the least well drawn character in the book, which is deliberate because Cassandra simply doesn't understand him, and the stepmother is a wonderfully eccentric character.

Rating: A wonderful story told in the voice of a young woman of character. 4+ stars.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am reading 'I capture the Castle' and am absolutely hooked!It is one of the best books I have ever read!
Bibliophile said…
I agree, it is very good. I'm planning on renting the movie one of these days and I hope it will turn out to have captured the spirit of the book.
Anonymous said…
bibliophile, have you watched the movie yet? I'm a pretty tough critic of books turned into movies, but, for the most part, I was impressed with this one. I'm rereading the book right now, and it makes me want to go and watch the movie again!
Bibliophile said…
Janna, no I still haven't seen the movie. I will some day, but I have about 300 books to read first ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Book 40: The Martian by Andy Weir, audiobook read by Wil Wheaton

Note : This will be a general scattershot discussion about my thoughts on the book and the movie, and not a cohesive review. When movies are based on books I am interested in reading but haven't yet read, I generally wait to read the book until I have seen the movie, but when a movie is made based on a book I have already read, I try to abstain from rereading the book until I have seen the movie. The reason is simple: I am one of those people who can be reduced to near-incoherent rage when a movie severely alters the perfectly good story line of a beloved book, changes the ending beyond recognition or adds unnecessarily to the story ( The Hobbit , anyone?) without any apparent reason. I don't mind omissions of unnecessary parts so much (I did not, for example, become enraged to find Tom Bombadil missing from The Lord of the Rings ), because one expects that - movies based on books would be TV-series long if they tried to include everything, so the material must be pared down

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove

First book of 2020: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach (reading notes)

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I loathe movie tie-in book covers because I feel they are (often) trying to tell me how I should see the characters in the book. The edition of Deborah Moggach's These Foolish Things that I read takes it one step further and changes the title of the book into the title of the film version as well as having photos of the ensemble cast on the cover. Fortunately it has been a long while since I watched the movie, so I couldn't even remember who played whom in the film, and I think it's perfectly understandable to try to cash in on the movie's success by rebranding the book. Even with a few years between watching the film and reading the book, I could see that the story had been altered, e.g. by having the Marigold Hotel's owner/manager be single and having a romance, instead being of unhappily married to an (understandably, I thought) shrewish wife. It also conflates Sonny, the wheeler dealer behind the retireme