Skip to main content

What's in a Name challenge review #6: 1968 by Mark Kurlansky

What's in a Name challenge category: A number in figures in the title 
Author: Mark Kurlansky.

Full title: 1968: The Year that Rocked the World
Genre: History
Published: 2004

One would think that finding a book with a number in the title would be easy in a book collection as large as mine, but it wasn't. I only found two among my 700+ TBR stack and ended up reading this one because my second-hand copy of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 was so musty that I started sneezing after reading a couple of pages.
 
The year 1968 was a pivotal, tumultuous year in history, full of student riots, protests, massacres, the assassinations of public figures, the Vietnam war and the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia, with the Cold War as a backdrop for the whole thing.

Kurlansky has drawn all of this together into a solid, interesting book. Unlike two previous books of his that I have read, Cod and Salt, it does not begin to feel rushed towards the end, and this is a good thing because I hate it when non-fiction writers spend 3/4 of the book discussing some aspect or time period in slow motion and then suddenly shift into fifth and rush the ending. This book continues at the same steady, relatively fast pace all the way through and manages to convey, if not all the history of 1968, then at least a sense of the atmosphere and an overview of important events and people. It is designed more to whet one's appetite for more specifics rather than to be a definitive history of an interesting year.

Reams of books have been written about the events of 1968, some wide-ranging and others focusing on one particular country, event or person. A number of them made it into the bibliography, and I will be perusing that to see if I find books about the things that especially interested me in this book.

This book is very fact-heavy and I mostly read it while eating breakfast and dinner in my kitchen, so you could say that for the last couple of months I have been digesting it little by little. Unfortunately, trying to read it at bedtime inevitably brought on the yawns after a few pages - not because it is boring, but because it is so packed with names and facts that my brain needed to be fully alert to follow everything that was happening on the page, and not winding down after the day.

This is not a fun read, but it is an interesting one. It details some of the many things human beings do to each other in the name of one ideology or another, but also the hope that springs eternal in humans that change can be achieved if they only try hard enough.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book 40: The Martian by Andy Weir, audiobook read by Wil Wheaton

Note : This will be a general scattershot discussion about my thoughts on the book and the movie, and not a cohesive review. When movies are based on books I am interested in reading but haven't yet read, I generally wait to read the book until I have seen the movie, but when a movie is made based on a book I have already read, I try to abstain from rereading the book until I have seen the movie. The reason is simple: I am one of those people who can be reduced to near-incoherent rage when a movie severely alters the perfectly good story line of a beloved book, changes the ending beyond recognition or adds unnecessarily to the story ( The Hobbit , anyone?) without any apparent reason. I don't mind omissions of unnecessary parts so much (I did not, for example, become enraged to find Tom Bombadil missing from The Lord of the Rings ), because one expects that - movies based on books would be TV-series long if they tried to include everything, so the material must be pared down

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove

First book of 2020: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach (reading notes)

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I loathe movie tie-in book covers because I feel they are (often) trying to tell me how I should see the characters in the book. The edition of Deborah Moggach's These Foolish Things that I read takes it one step further and changes the title of the book into the title of the film version as well as having photos of the ensemble cast on the cover. Fortunately it has been a long while since I watched the movie, so I couldn't even remember who played whom in the film, and I think it's perfectly understandable to try to cash in on the movie's success by rebranding the book. Even with a few years between watching the film and reading the book, I could see that the story had been altered, e.g. by having the Marigold Hotel's owner/manager be single and having a romance, instead being of unhappily married to an (understandably, I thought) shrewish wife. It also conflates Sonny, the wheeler dealer behind the retireme