Skip to main content

2013 Online Reading Challenge Round-up, Part I: TBR challenges

The end-of-year holidays are over, the novelty is beginning to wear off the gadgets we got for Christmas, and we are in the process of reading (or have already finished) the lovely books we got (at least the ones we actually wanted). Some of us will also, by now, be having doubts about our new year‘s resolutions.  To keep things exciting, why not join a reading challenge?

Like last year, I have been looking for reading challenges. While I didn‘t find many I wanted to join, I found plenty that are (or might be) suitable for other readers, and to save someone (hopefully many someones) the search, I present here the second annual reading challenge round-up, part I.

I deliberately didn‘t look to see if the challenges I featured last year are being repeated, because I wanted to feature some new challenges, but neither did I exclude them when they popped up in my searches.

If you are running a challenge or know of a good one, do post a link in a comment to let me know and I will take a look at it. I can‘t promise it will make it into a post, but at the least it will be there in the comments for me and my readers to take a look at.

All links will open in a new window.

I begin, as I did last year, with a meta challenge: The Reading Challenge Addict challenge.

Reading Challenge Addict
It is, quite simply, a way for you to show just how badass a challenge addict you are. Rules may be found at the link above and sign-up is here.
Last time I looked, there were already 48 participants signed up. I didn't check if anyone had joined the Out of This World level, to enter and finish 16+ Challenges in one year, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. I don't have the discipline to do that level myself, but I might enter the Easy as Pie level, to enter and finish between 1 and 5 challenges.

 This year, I found several TBR challenges:


Bev Hankins is back with the Mount TBR Challenge.

This is a year-long challenge and the focus is on books owned by the participants. There are levels ranging from Pike's Peak (12 books) to Mount Olympus (150+ books). Sign-up ends on November 30th, audio books and eBooks count towards the challenge, and you can read the same books for other challenges. It is not necessary for you to own a blog, nor is it to post reviews. Further rules and sign-up can be found at the link. You can also click on the badge to be taken there. For those of you without blogs, you can join the Goodreads group for the challenge. So far 98 people have joined up.


6 bloggers have banded together to host the 2013 TBR Pile reading Challenge.

This is another year-long challenge focusing on owned books. The levels range from A Firm Handshake (1-10 TBR books) to Married With Children (41-50 books, and sign-up ends on December 15th. Reviewing is mandatory and can be done on a blog or other social media, e.g. Shelfari or Goodreads, or even on Amazon. There are mini-challenges to be entered throughout the year, and did I mention the prizes? How about the December giveaway? Further rules and sign-up at the link. Last time I looked, 315 people had joined.

Then there is the Embarrassment of Riches TBR Reading Challenge.

This one is being run (if I have my facts right) by author Patricia Burroughs. The focus is on owned books of any genre and if you want to join this one, you need to be quick, because sign-up ends on January 8th.

Reviewing is not mandatory, but you are expected to report on your progress. Levels run from Copper (6 books) to Platinum (50 books). Further rules and sign-up at the link. 44 people have already joined.

I am considering this one for myself, since the Platinum level coincides with my TBR goal for the year and there aren't too many hoops to jump through.


C.B. James of Ready When You Are, C.B. is hosting the TBR Double Dog Dare challenge and already has 50 participants.

This challenge, like the previous three, focuses on TBR books, but unlike them, it not only covers owned books but also library books, provided you requested them before January 1st. This challenge only runs between January 1st and April 1st. Further rules and sign-up at the link.



Finally, there is the 2013 Bucket List Reading challenge.

I am including it here because a bucket list is a kind of TBR list, but in this instance you don't have to own the books, you just have to want to read them, and they have to be worthwhile books - this is explained in the rules (and after reading this far, I'm sure you know how to find those).

Cross-overs are allowed, sign-up is until the end of the year, and you need to commit to reading 6, 12 or 24 books. Reviewing is expected, but need not be done on a blog. 9 people have joined so far. Why not become the 10th?



This is it for the TBR challenges. I will post the next installation in this series when I'm good and ready (possibly tomorrow, possibly on Monday).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book 40: The Martian by Andy Weir, audiobook read by Wil Wheaton

Note : This will be a general scattershot discussion about my thoughts on the book and the movie, and not a cohesive review. When movies are based on books I am interested in reading but haven't yet read, I generally wait to read the book until I have seen the movie, but when a movie is made based on a book I have already read, I try to abstain from rereading the book until I have seen the movie. The reason is simple: I am one of those people who can be reduced to near-incoherent rage when a movie severely alters the perfectly good story line of a beloved book, changes the ending beyond recognition or adds unnecessarily to the story ( The Hobbit , anyone?) without any apparent reason. I don't mind omissions of unnecessary parts so much (I did not, for example, become enraged to find Tom Bombadil missing from The Lord of the Rings ), because one expects that - movies based on books would be TV-series long if they tried to include everything, so the material must be pared down

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove

First book of 2020: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach (reading notes)

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I loathe movie tie-in book covers because I feel they are (often) trying to tell me how I should see the characters in the book. The edition of Deborah Moggach's These Foolish Things that I read takes it one step further and changes the title of the book into the title of the film version as well as having photos of the ensemble cast on the cover. Fortunately it has been a long while since I watched the movie, so I couldn't even remember who played whom in the film, and I think it's perfectly understandable to try to cash in on the movie's success by rebranding the book. Even with a few years between watching the film and reading the book, I could see that the story had been altered, e.g. by having the Marigold Hotel's owner/manager be single and having a romance, instead being of unhappily married to an (understandably, I thought) shrewish wife. It also conflates Sonny, the wheeler dealer behind the retireme