Skip to main content

Bibliophile reviews To love and be wise by Josephine Tey

A belated Merry Christmas!

I apologise for the long break, but I have been working on a translation and have had neither time nor inclination to write reviews.

Series detective: Inspector Grant
No. in series: 4
Year of publication: 1950
Type of mystery: Missing person, possible homicide
Type of investigator: Police
Setting & time: Rural England, 1950s
Some themes:

...there was never proud man thought so absurdly well of himself as the lover doth of the person loved; and therefore it was well said, that it is impossible to love, and to be wise.
Francis Bacon (1561-1626), "On Love"

I thought it suitable to give the relevant full quote from which the book's title is derived, as it has a bearing on the story told in the book.

Said story is a delicious detective tale that knowingly and effectively breaks one of Van Dine's principal rules of detective fiction, but since it would give away too much to reveal which one, I will leave it to you to find out. I will say that a character in the book manages to disprove Bacon's statement, but to find out more you must read the book.

Story: Leslie Searle, an accomplished and famous photographer of the rich and famous, is invited to stay with Walter Whitmore, a famous radio show host, at his country house. Leslie charms almost everyone there, not the least Walter's fiancée, Liz, much to her mother's consternation. Walter and Leslie decide to make a book together about a river that runs through the village, Walter writing the text and Leslie taking the photographs. On the night of the fourth day of their journey down the river by canoe, Leslie disappears without a trace and Inspector Grant of the Scotland Yard is called in to investigate what proves to be a very difficult case indeed.

Review: The story is enjoyable and is told in a flowing and slyly humorous style, even when the suspicions of foul play are the strongest. Tey is the only author I have come across who can make Georgette Heyer's light and humorous style look ponderous by comparison. I wouldn't have noticed this except the book I read ahead of this one was a Heyer mystery.

I can't say much about the plotting, as it would give away too much, but let's suffice to say that if you enjoy detective stories only if they follow the rules slavishly, you will probably be upset by it. If, on the other hand, you enjoy seeing how the rules can be broken while still telling an enjoyable story, you will enjoy it – perhaps even love it – as I did.

Rating: A highly enjoyable and somewhat unorthodox detective tale. 4 stars.

Comments

jenclair said…
Synchronicity - I love it. I was just thinking about re-reading. There aren't that many books that call me to reread them, and I was thinking about which ones do. Often, the ones that I reread are those that are from years ago. Jospehine Tey is an author that I would like to visit again - especially The Daughter of Time. Tey's novels would be a great place to start!

Popular posts from this blog

Book 40: The Martian by Andy Weir, audiobook read by Wil Wheaton

Note : This will be a general scattershot discussion about my thoughts on the book and the movie, and not a cohesive review. When movies are based on books I am interested in reading but haven't yet read, I generally wait to read the book until I have seen the movie, but when a movie is made based on a book I have already read, I try to abstain from rereading the book until I have seen the movie. The reason is simple: I am one of those people who can be reduced to near-incoherent rage when a movie severely alters the perfectly good story line of a beloved book, changes the ending beyond recognition or adds unnecessarily to the story ( The Hobbit , anyone?) without any apparent reason. I don't mind omissions of unnecessary parts so much (I did not, for example, become enraged to find Tom Bombadil missing from The Lord of the Rings ), because one expects that - movies based on books would be TV-series long if they tried to include everything, so the material must be pared down

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove

First book of 2020: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach (reading notes)

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I loathe movie tie-in book covers because I feel they are (often) trying to tell me how I should see the characters in the book. The edition of Deborah Moggach's These Foolish Things that I read takes it one step further and changes the title of the book into the title of the film version as well as having photos of the ensemble cast on the cover. Fortunately it has been a long while since I watched the movie, so I couldn't even remember who played whom in the film, and I think it's perfectly understandable to try to cash in on the movie's success by rebranding the book. Even with a few years between watching the film and reading the book, I could see that the story had been altered, e.g. by having the Marigold Hotel's owner/manager be single and having a romance, instead being of unhappily married to an (understandably, I thought) shrewish wife. It also conflates Sonny, the wheeler dealer behind the retireme