Skip to main content

Mystery author #23: Sebastien Japrisot

Title: A Very Long Engagement
Original French title: Un long diamanche de fiançailles
Year of publication: 1991 (original), 1993
Type of mystery: Missing person
Type of investigator: Amateur
Setting & time: France, 1917-1924, with flashbacks and flash-forwards
Number of corpses: Many
Some themes: Love, hate, perseverance, truth, war crimes

I had originally intended to review One Deadly Summer (L'été meurtrier) because I had seen and enjoyed the film, but I didn't like the first person narrative style of the book and gave up on it. I also suppose it was not that exciting for me to read because I already knew what the surprise twist was. When I came across this book I remembered that there had been a critically acclaimed film of the same title and a random reading of a few lines told me it was not written in the same narrative style as the other book, so I bought it.

Story: In the winter of 1917 five French soldiers who have been sentenced to death for cowardice are pushed out into no-man's land between the French and German fronts. The next day, five bodies are recovered and buried in a common grave. After the war, Mathilde, the fiancée of one of the men, sets out to discover what really happened that night. She has never really believed her Manech was dead. Her investigations take her all over France and her patient questioning and doggedness lead her on a convoluted trail of clues and red herrings before finally the terrible truth about that night in no-man's land is revealed.

Review: This is a literary mystery and as such can't really be tied down to a specific mystery sub-genre. It is also a thriller and a love story, and all of it is well done.

As usual when I review translated books, I don't think I can comment much on the style, as at best the style of a translated book belongs to both author and translator. I do think the translation is well rendered in the sense that it reads like a text written in English. Since my French is not good enough to evaluate the correctness or faithfulness of the translation I am not going to comment on how good a translation it is of the original.

The story is gripping from page one, but not in the sense of being "unputdownable", at least not for me. I was perfectly content to read a chapter now and a chapter later, simply because I felt I had to digest the contents of each chapter before going on. Also, to tell the truth, I didn't want it to end.
The story is simple: Mathilde searches for her fiancé, but in terms of plotting it is complex, like a deceptively simple jigsaw puzzle you think you can solve in an hour but nevertheless takes several days to complete.

While the story is emotional, Japrisot has managed to avoid melodrama, for which I am thankful because there are plenty of things in the story to get emotional about. The narrative, which, by the way, is supposed to be written by Mathilde (but in the third person), never gets bogged down in tear-jerking over-sentimentality. This is not to say that it can't or won't make you cry, but it makes it a lot harder. There is humour, not just in some of the events, but in the wording, like the narrator (Mathilde) is gently mocking herself and everyone around her. The letters from Mathilde's various correspondents are written in distinct voices, so that you never confuse the elderly Italian woman with her messed-up goddaughter, or the soldier with the private detective.

The story is as full of surprises as you would expect from a mystery, and at times you really don't know where the plot is taking you, something I always like about mysteries. All in all, it is one of the best mysteries I have read this year. I really must rent the DVD soon.

Rating: A very enjoyable romantic mystery-thriller. 5 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book 40: The Martian by Andy Weir, audiobook read by Wil Wheaton

Note : This will be a general scattershot discussion about my thoughts on the book and the movie, and not a cohesive review. When movies are based on books I am interested in reading but haven't yet read, I generally wait to read the book until I have seen the movie, but when a movie is made based on a book I have already read, I try to abstain from rereading the book until I have seen the movie. The reason is simple: I am one of those people who can be reduced to near-incoherent rage when a movie severely alters the perfectly good story line of a beloved book, changes the ending beyond recognition or adds unnecessarily to the story ( The Hobbit , anyone?) without any apparent reason. I don't mind omissions of unnecessary parts so much (I did not, for example, become enraged to find Tom Bombadil missing from The Lord of the Rings ), because one expects that - movies based on books would be TV-series long if they tried to include everything, so the material must be pared down

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove

First book of 2020: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach (reading notes)

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I loathe movie tie-in book covers because I feel they are (often) trying to tell me how I should see the characters in the book. The edition of Deborah Moggach's These Foolish Things that I read takes it one step further and changes the title of the book into the title of the film version as well as having photos of the ensemble cast on the cover. Fortunately it has been a long while since I watched the movie, so I couldn't even remember who played whom in the film, and I think it's perfectly understandable to try to cash in on the movie's success by rebranding the book. Even with a few years between watching the film and reading the book, I could see that the story had been altered, e.g. by having the Marigold Hotel's owner/manager be single and having a romance, instead being of unhappily married to an (understandably, I thought) shrewish wife. It also conflates Sonny, the wheeler dealer behind the retireme