Skip to main content

Reading in progress: The Once and Future king: The Sword in the Stone, by T.H. White (listening notes, ongoing)

When I came across the "Once and Future King" by T.H. White on Audible (read by Neville Jason, who does a fine job of it), I knew I had to buy it. I already owned a physical copy of the book, but I have found lately that it suits me better to listen to long books rather than to read them, because my hands want to be doing something other than holding a book while I read.

This novel, which was originally published as a quadrology of short novels and later collected and revised into one long novel, is a retelling of part of the Arthurian legend and is considered to be one of the finest of the many re-imaginings of that legend.

It was disappointing to discover that this is actually an edited version that seems, according to one review on Audible.com, to be not just abridged but actually a bastard version comprised of both the original short novels and the revised one-volume edition. However, another reviewer kindly pointed out some of the missing passages and where to find them, and I plan to find then in my physical copy of the book to read and get a sense of the whole thing.

It also seems that this version adds a fifth book, which was not included in the original revised edition, and most reviewers seem to think it spoils the novel. Whether or not I listen to it remains to be seen, but I rather think I will.

I have to admit that although I was a big mythology/legend/folk-tale nerd when I was a child and teenager, I came pretty late to the Arthurian legends, and still haven't, for example, read Le Morte D'Arthur, the best known early compilation and translation of these legends into English. My introduction to Arthurian literature was, in fact, Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave, which I thought was a story sprung entirely from the mind of the author at the time I read it. It wasn't until I found a copy of my father's old textbook for a college class he had taken on European mythology and legends that I realised that it was based on old legends.

The novel is divided into four books and I have been listening to and enjoying the first, "The Sword in the Stone". It is about the early life and education of Arthur by Merlyn.

The setting is medieval, and Wikipedia states that the story takes place in the 14th century, rather than the 5-6th centuries which are the traditional setting for the Arthurian legends.

This section of the novel has the tone of a children's book, with child-like antics and adventures, but looking deeper you realise that Merlyn is using the adventures to teach Arthur lessons that will make him a good king. He tries to teach him statecraft, respect for others, leadership and to bring out his resourcefulness and get him to think about things. This includes turning him into different animals and letting him draw his own conclusions about what he experiences. The book can thus be read on two levels, first to or by children who will enjoy the adventures, adults behaving like children, and some scenes that are pure slapstick, like anything to do with bumbling King Pellinore, and secondly by teens and adults, who will enjoy the deeper themes, allusions, foreshadowing and the anachronisms that tumble from Merlyn's lips and those of the narrator from time to time.

This is a very English book, full of stereotypical English phrases, like "Tally-ho!" and I'm pretty sure I heard at least one "I say!". There are also hunting scenes that are very much out of medieval England, and Robin Hood (or Wood) crops up from time to time. The tone gets somewhat mocking at times, which makes me think it's parodying something, possible Le Morte D'Arthur or other Arthurian legends or novels. In any case, it is full of humour and fun, but with a serious undertone.

Merlyn seems to be immortal, or close to it, and lives life backwards in time. Thinking about the logistics of that just gives me a headache, so I try not to think about it too much.

To be continued - if I find anything more to say about it.
---

After I finish the whole book, I think I might go and read some more Arthurian tales. But which one(s) do I choose? I have copies of Sir Thomas Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur, Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon, the whole of Mary Stewart's Merlin books and The Coming of the King by Nikolai Tolstoy.
These books are, respectively, a compilation of the Arthurian tales and legends, the story as seen from the point of view of the women, and from Merlin's viewpoint (the last two) and it should be interesting to read one or more to compare them with The Once and Future King.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book 40: The Martian by Andy Weir, audiobook read by Wil Wheaton

Note : This will be a general scattershot discussion about my thoughts on the book and the movie, and not a cohesive review. When movies are based on books I am interested in reading but haven't yet read, I generally wait to read the book until I have seen the movie, but when a movie is made based on a book I have already read, I try to abstain from rereading the book until I have seen the movie. The reason is simple: I am one of those people who can be reduced to near-incoherent rage when a movie severely alters the perfectly good story line of a beloved book, changes the ending beyond recognition or adds unnecessarily to the story ( The Hobbit , anyone?) without any apparent reason. I don't mind omissions of unnecessary parts so much (I did not, for example, become enraged to find Tom Bombadil missing from The Lord of the Rings ), because one expects that - movies based on books would be TV-series long if they tried to include everything, so the material must be pared down

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove

First book of 2020: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach (reading notes)

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I loathe movie tie-in book covers because I feel they are (often) trying to tell me how I should see the characters in the book. The edition of Deborah Moggach's These Foolish Things that I read takes it one step further and changes the title of the book into the title of the film version as well as having photos of the ensemble cast on the cover. Fortunately it has been a long while since I watched the movie, so I couldn't even remember who played whom in the film, and I think it's perfectly understandable to try to cash in on the movie's success by rebranding the book. Even with a few years between watching the film and reading the book, I could see that the story had been altered, e.g. by having the Marigold Hotel's owner/manager be single and having a romance, instead being of unhappily married to an (understandably, I thought) shrewish wife. It also conflates Sonny, the wheeler dealer behind the retireme