Skip to main content

Review: The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery

Translated from the French by Alison Anderson. Original title: L'Élégance du hérisson.
 
I needed to figure out what my feelings were about this book, so I decided to write a review, the first I have written in ages. Don't expect it to be completely conclusive or deep, because even after writing it, my feelings are still somewhat mixed. I really should have done a reading journal of it.


This story of a crusty, cranky Parisian concierge harbouring a secret, and a depressed young girl with a diabolical plan, is told in first-person journal entry chapters that alternate between the two. 

Renée is the concierge, who has been trying all her life to hide her intelligence and enjoyment of culture by outwardly conforming to the stereotype of a person of her class and occupation by presenting herself to the world as uncouth, stupid, and uncultured, and Paloma is the troubled and intelligent 12-year old daughter of one of the upper-crust families that employ Renée. The arrival of a new inhabitant in the house turns Renée's world topsy-turvy and makes Paloma rethink her dark plan.

Perhaps I don't "get" philosophy and maybe I don't understand French culture and haven't read enough French literature to appreciate all the cultural and literary allusions, or perhaps it's that a large part of any so-called literary fiction that I read doesn't appeal to me for one reason or another. Whatever it is, I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand it is (strangely, considering its many faults) charming, absorbing and quite readable, which I attribute in large part to the beautiful language of the translation, and on the other hand it is pretentious and plagued with faults.

To name some of the latter, one can begin with one of the biggest: the voices of the two narrators, Renée Michel and Paloma Josse, aren't distinct enough. If it weren't for the headings of the chapters and the contextual information contained in the text (the "story" part of the narrative) one wouldn't be able to tell them apart when they start waxing philosophical. Never mind that much of the philosophy  - and there is a lot - isn't as profound as it would like to be: it's that it makes the narrative ramble and only occasionally has any bearing on the actual story.

Both Renée and Paloma proclaim themselves to be above average in intelligence - in fact Paloma claims to be smarter than everyone around her - but their reasoning and "proof" for this is minimal and comes across as rather empty bragging. The reader is expected to accept that because they philosophise, they must be intelligent. Both are made somewhat unattractive by the fact that because of their self-perceived intelligence, they think they have the right to deem everyone else stupid and judge them accordingly. This is a typical fallacy among self-proclaimed intellectuals, as if intelligence is above everything else, and not how you use it, and neither girl nor woman is using hers for anything other than ultimately empty philosophising, making them ultimately as useless as the people they keep criticising for being stupid and useless.

The rest of the characters are basically stereotypes, even Mr. Ozo, who is the pivotal character even if his viewpoint is never seen except through the eyes of Renée or Paloma. Colombe is a typical bad older sister character and the only thing I really find interesting about her is the never explained reason why both sisters bear names that mean "dove", one in French (Colombe) and the other in Spanish (Paloma). Perhaps it's some kind of joke about French naming conventions, or about class or about their parents? Or perhaps it's because both are the antithesis of their names? Paloma is sullen, rebellious, depressed and cynical, and Colombe is bitchy and seems full of herself, while both names denote sweetness, innocence and meekness. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into this?

One has to sift through the lovely but ultimately empty and sometimes overblown stream of words to find the story, such as it is. It is very short when you remove all the philosophical filler, and is so formulaic as to be a parable, one that I hate with a passion (read the book to find out what it is). The apparently budding romance between Renée and Mr. Ozo (who comes straight from the mould of the literary wise old man) injects some feel-good into the story, but even while one hopes for a happy or at least happy-ish ending, there lurks at the back of one's mind the suspicion that Barbery is having the reader on and lulling them into complacency before hitting them with something horrible, because, hey! this is literary fiction and every reader worth their salt knows that the first rule of literary fiction is thou shalt not give thine story a happy ending. Which she, in fact, follows, ending the story so abruptly that one suspects that she suddenly grew tired of writing the book and decided that here was a good place to chuck in a not-altogether-unexpected (unshocking) shock ending and tie up everything neatly with a sombre bow.

What irks me is that right up until the last three chapters the story could have deviated from formula and become something deep, even with the stereotypes, pretentious philosophy and the hypocritical lead characters, but the abrupt and, might I say predictable, ending made it really rather a mundane (and skinny) story. It read, up until those final chapters, like the first third or so of what promised to be a juicy and entertaining bildungsroman. Lest you think I am reacting this way because of the ending, let me just say that I went into the endeavour knowing full well that this was literary fiction, and being literary fiction, I knew the ending had to be either a) bittersweet, b) wholly unhappy for all involved or c) an utter disaster on a large scale. Mind you, I hoped (but didn't expect), as I always do, that there would be a happy ending. Why? I don't know, because I didn't really like either Renée or Paloma.

I still 'kind-of, sort-of' like this book because despite all its faults it still manages to be charming, but I do not like it enough that I would ever read it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book 40: The Martian by Andy Weir, audiobook read by Wil Wheaton

Note : This will be a general scattershot discussion about my thoughts on the book and the movie, and not a cohesive review. When movies are based on books I am interested in reading but haven't yet read, I generally wait to read the book until I have seen the movie, but when a movie is made based on a book I have already read, I try to abstain from rereading the book until I have seen the movie. The reason is simple: I am one of those people who can be reduced to near-incoherent rage when a movie severely alters the perfectly good story line of a beloved book, changes the ending beyond recognition or adds unnecessarily to the story ( The Hobbit , anyone?) without any apparent reason. I don't mind omissions of unnecessary parts so much (I did not, for example, become enraged to find Tom Bombadil missing from The Lord of the Rings ), because one expects that - movies based on books would be TV-series long if they tried to include everything, so the material must be pared down

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove

First book of 2020: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach (reading notes)

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I loathe movie tie-in book covers because I feel they are (often) trying to tell me how I should see the characters in the book. The edition of Deborah Moggach's These Foolish Things that I read takes it one step further and changes the title of the book into the title of the film version as well as having photos of the ensemble cast on the cover. Fortunately it has been a long while since I watched the movie, so I couldn't even remember who played whom in the film, and I think it's perfectly understandable to try to cash in on the movie's success by rebranding the book. Even with a few years between watching the film and reading the book, I could see that the story had been altered, e.g. by having the Marigold Hotel's owner/manager be single and having a romance, instead being of unhappily married to an (understandably, I thought) shrewish wife. It also conflates Sonny, the wheeler dealer behind the retireme